Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Can't OC my i7 9700K

NCoqu
Beginner

Hello, I recently wanted to take advantage of the possibility of overclocking my processor to gain some fps in game (I play in 4K). My processor is associated with an RTX 2070 Super and an msi mpg z390 gaming edge ac. However, it is absolutely impossible for me to overclock my processor: any value greater than 4.7ghz makes the system completely unstable, regardless of the settings of the bios (playing with vcore, with the ring ratio, following tutorials .. .). In addition, my CPU requires a lot of vcore (if only to launch Windows), for example, at 4.9 ghz, the vcore must be at least 1.370V for Windows to start (then it crashes on OCCT or whatever what other burner).

I specify that it is not a temperature problem, I am on AIO.

All my drivers are up to date.

I also have a problem during certain reboots (the PC boot but the bios does not launch and I am forced to disconnect my PC to turn it on again), I do not know if it can have a report.

Sorry in advance for my bad English, I use a translator.

I completely defer to all of you, I don't know what to do anymore.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
NCoqu
Beginner

Ty for the answer but it's not really what I expected... I mean, I know what overclock is and my problem doesn't seem common

0 Kudos
NCoqu
Beginner

Up

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Then you need to be patient, grasshopper. it is the weekend.

"Intel customer support is available Monday-Friday 7AM to 4PM PST"

Doc

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello NCoqu, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

After checking the information provided on the thread I need to inform you that we support the product only if the issue appears while the unit is working under the supported specifications, you can confirm the specs of the processor in the following link.

Please remember that altering the clock frequency and/or voltage may reduce system stability and useful life of the system and processor. If that is the case, I would recommend the use the supported with its default specifications.

To perform a safe overclocking in the unit I would recommend checking third-party websites for further assistance, if you would like to give it a try please follow the link provided by Al.Hill or check this link.

You could also check with your motherboard manufacturer for the complete information about settings, voltages, or profiles to perform the safe overclocking of the processor.

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. 

Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.

Esteban D. 

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
NCoqu
Beginner

Hello, thanks for the reply

I would like to precise that it was not about altering significantly the clock frequency, simply activating the intel boost option (via bios) at 4.9ghz on all hearts made the system unstable, but updating the bios and deactivating XMP seem to has been a solution.

I still can't go over 4.9ghz but it's sufficient, otherwise I would not have ordered the K version.

So for now everything is ok.

Cordially

0 Kudos