Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

Can't be booted by DDR4 quad channel memory composition

TAnaz
Beginner

ASROCK released BIOS v3.40 of meltdown problem improvement, so when I downloaded this BIOS and updated, My PC couldn't be booted any more.

The contents of trouble failed in chipset initialization, and a power supply became off.

When I asked ASROCK, I got the answer to which such phenomenon has not occurred by ASROCK.

So I investigated variously to find out the cause of the trouble.

As a result, It was revealed that it couldn't be booted by DDR4 quad channel memory composition.

it can be booted with no problem by DDR4 single channel memory or dual channel memory composition.

I reported this result to ASROCK, and I asked once again.

I got the following answer from ASROCK.

======================================================================

Referring your question about BIOS, we do not same CPU/VGA/SSD/Memory,

so we used the configuration below:

CPU: i7 5820K

Memory: Crucial 4G-2666 (1G x 4)

SSD: Intel SSDPEDMW400G4

VGA: GT1030

We did not duplicate the problem.

About unable to quad channel memory Intel implement some codes in BIOS 3.40 that can fix

the Meltdown problem.

======================================================================

It became difficult that I trace it any more by this answer.

So, my PC returns BIOS to the previous version(v3.30) at present.

The way where a similar trouble has happened in everyone, yes, if kidnaping, is it trout?

My PC construction is below, there has been no overclocking:

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v4 (Type: 0, Family: 6, Model: 4F, Stepping: 1, Revision: B00001C)

Motherboard: ASROCK X99-WS (E-ATX, LGA2011-v3, BIOS v3.30)

DRAM: G.SKILL F4-2400C15Q-32GRR 8GB x 8 (total: 64GB, DDR4-2400)

Video card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury(4GB HBM, PCI-Express)

Storage: Intel SSDPEDMW40 (400GB, SSD, NVMe PCI-Express)

Power Supply: CORSAIR HX850i (850W 80PLUS PLATINUM)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

To me, this sounds like you should be dealing with ASROCK more. It is their motherboard, and their BIOS.

Your memory and processor are on their supported list, and worked with their previous bios.

There is nothing that can be done here.

Doc
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Agreed. This is not something that can or should be handled here. ASROCK must test the quad-channel configuration on their board and see if the MRC (Memory Reference Code) that they are using in their BIOS is not working properly with the microcode update. If there is a problem, then ASROCK needs to escalate this issue.

...S

0 Kudos
TAnaz
Beginner

I understand that this trouble is here because of the BIOS ASROCK released.

The Meltdown problem is a beginning for a renewal of this BIOS.

I'm thinking there is also a possibility that micro code Intel released is affecting.

There was a case that Intel released wrong micro code to the Meltdown problem in the past.

So, I'd like to know so whether a similar problem occurred, and contributed to this forum.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You are grasping at straws. You must deal with ASROCK.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Intel never released "wrong microcode". They had a microcode release that (still) contained errata, but this errata has been fixed and was *exhaustively* tested before being re-released. Of course, it is always possible that ASROCK released a BIOS with the wrong version of the microcode in it -- but again, that's an issue that you need to discuss with ASROCK.

...S

0 Kudos