Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Can we make a quad core processor in which two cores are based on x86-64 architecture and other two processors based on ARM architecture , so that we can shutdown the other two cores while using it for smart phone OS and turn them on while using desktop.

idata
Employee

Can we make a quad core processor in which two cores are based on x86-64 architecture and other two processors based on ARM architecture , so that we can shutdown the other two cores while using it for smart phone OS and turn them on while using desktop OS. I want to use it for both smartphone and desktop.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Hello Prudhvikumar,

What such a fantasy idea! So excellent!

But I do not think that is a cost effective solution, even possible and feasible!

You know all mainstream processors today are based on discrete microarchitecture, in other words, front end and true computing engine are separated by various ways. So I think this problem could be further refined by providing two front ends for each processor core, one is for Intel 64, and the other could be supplemented by ARMv8 64-bit. Then there would be no computing resources wasted no matter working under Android or Windows. Intel might also extend the virtualisation, let those two different architectures could be utilised side by side under the same O/S environment. Great and excellent for your question. And I also expect Intel would put their effort to invent such a Tinker Bell to accompany with Peter Pans from all over the world for ever...

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello:

Thank you very much to Janagewen for the comments posted above.

To: Prudhvikumar

In regard to your inquiry, we are going to do a research in order to provide the most accurate information about this matter.

As soon as I get any information, I will post all the details on this thread

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Prudhvikumar:

I just wanted to let you know that we are still working and doing research in order to provide all the details about your inquiry.

I just received an update on this investigation, on the following link you will be able to see different information about 64 and 32 architectures, and also it shows how to turn cores on and off, so, please verify that document since there is a lot information about that in it, and let us know if the information that you need was there or if you need further details.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/architectures-software-developer-manuals.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/architectures-software-developer-manuals.html

Alberto

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Prudhvikumar:

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you, or if you need further details about this matter?

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alberto Rodriguez,

Thank you for the assistance you have provided for me,as I am out on a project it's late reply from me.

I am going through the information provided by you,and I will let you know any questions or further information within 24 hours.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Prudhvikumar:

Perfect, no problem at all, once you get the chance verify that document, and please let us know if further information is needed.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Prudhvikumar:

I just wanted to verify if you found the information you requested on the link provided above, and also if you need further details about this matter?

Alberto

0 Kudos