Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Cannot boot into windows if speed step is enabled

Joejoejoe
Beginner
Hi, I'm encountering this wired issue. When I disable intel speed step in BIOS, I can enter my windows 10 system, but the CPU usage seems to be limited to 28%maximum, I cannot make it surpass that limit even under a stress test. When I enable the speed step, I cannot enter my system anymore. The logo shows up and after that only a black screen is displayed. I'm using Alienware 17 R4. Have anyone encountered with similar problem?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Joejoejoe

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

1- Did the system work fine before or are you experiencing this issue since the first day that you have the computer?

2- If this worked fine before at any moment, were there any recent hardware or software changes that might relate to the point when the issue started? (for instance, Windows®, driver/software, or BIOS updates?)

3- How are you monitoring/determining that the system is "limited to 28% maximum" when disabling Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology?

Also, please elaborate more regarding the stress tests that you performed.

4- Besides testing with enabling/disabling Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology, is the BIOS running default settings? Have you made any other changes?

5- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Joejoejoe

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
kellyincuse
Beginner

Hello

Is this thread still open? I am running into the same issue as originally described.

About a month ago my system locked up. When I rebooted it wouldn't boot and eventually I had to reinstall the OS. After the reinstall the performance was incredibly slow so I started digging into blogs and the Dell Support site. I updated the BIOS to the latest at that time which was 1.12.0. Since having to reinstall the OS the performance is horrible. Trying to use the system it runs more like a lesser system that a 7th gen i7 core system.

I did what was asked of the originator of this thread and I'm attaching the files. At the moment I'm running 20H2 and I can't get EIST or SST to enable. When I enable SpeedStep in the BIOS the OS boots past the Alienware graphic and that goes to a black screen and goes no further. My system is an Alienware M17 R4.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

It is best to start a new thread.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Joejoejoe

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

We recommend checking this further with DELL* support for additional assistance, debugging, and even to check warranty status (if applicable).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos