Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Cannot change Core Voltage Offset in XTU - Value resets

Sam14
Beginner

When I adjust Core Voltage Offset and click apply, it resets back to the original value. I tinkered with it some and have managed to make it change to "Undefined", and can no longer even change it to default. Any idea how to make this work?

I attached my system scan and a screenshot of the error.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Sam14,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Core™ i5-13600KF Processor.  

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the tool?

2. Have you tried to set the laptop to default settings from the BIOS?

Bear in mind that Intel does not recommend/advise changing the voltage or the of the processor since this may damage the processor.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Sam14
Beginner

Hi, 

1. I tried uninstall & reinstall and there is no change.

2. This is a new build and I have not modified any bios settings. I updated the board to latest bios prior to installing the CPU.

I found the log file and there is an exception thrown when I try to apply changes. I believe there is a software error. Here are the relevant logs:

2022/11/07-22:55:55.23|!ERR] Perf tune apply failed
2022/11/07-22:55:55.5199|!ERR] After Discard all proposed changes still exist
2022/11/07-22:55:55.5199|!ERR] Leftover proposed change id: 164 Value: PerfTuneCommon.DataClasses.TuningControl
2022/11/07-22:55:55.5199|!ERR] Leftover proposed change id: 165 Value: PerfTuneCommon.DataClasses.TuningControl
2022/11/07-22:55:55.5199|!ERR] Leftover proposed change id: 166 Value: PerfTuneCommon.DataClasses.TuningControl
2022/11/07-22:55:55.5199|!ERR] Leftover proposed change id: 167 Value: PerfTuneCommon.DataClasses.TuningControl
2022/11/07-22:55:55.5199|!ERR] Leftover proposed change id: 168 Value: PerfTuneCommon.DataClasses.TuningControl
2022/11/07-22:55:55.5199|!ERR] Leftover proposed change id: 169 Value: PerfTuneCommon.DataClasses.TuningControl
2022/11/07-22:55:55.5199|!ERR] Leftover proposed change id: 3500 Value: PerfTuneCommon.DataClasses.TuningControl
2022/11/07-22:55:55.5199|!ERR] Leftover proposed change id: 3501 Value: PerfTuneCommon.DataClasses.TuningControl
2022/11/07-22:55:55.5199|!ERR] Leftover proposed change id: 3502 Value: PerfTuneCommon.DataClasses.TuningControl
2022/11/07-22:55:55.5199|!ERR] Leftover proposed change id: 3503 Value: PerfTuneCommon.DataClasses.TuningControl
2022/11/07-22:55:55.5199|!ERR] Leftover proposed change id: 3504 Value: PerfTuneCommon.DataClasses.TuningControl
2022/11/07-22:55:55.5199|!ERR] Leftover proposed change id: 3505 Value: PerfTuneCommon.DataClasses.TuningControl
2022/11/07-22:55:55.5199|!ERR] Leftover proposed change id: 3506 Value: PerfTuneCommon.DataClasses.TuningControl
2022/11/07-22:55:55.5199|!ERR] Leftover proposed change id: 3507 Value: PerfTuneCommon.DataClasses.TuningControl
2022/11/07-22:55:55.5239|!ERR] Exception thrown while Clearing Series: System.InvalidOperationException: The calling thread cannot access this object because a different thread owns it.
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.VerifyAccess()
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.GetValue(DependencyProperty dp)
at LiveCharts.Wpf.Series.get_Title()
at PerfTune.ViewModels.VFCurveTuningViewModel.‍‬‫‭‎‎‏‌‪‭‫‎‍‏‪‬‭‭‮‭‪‏‬​‬‌​‌‫‎‮(Series )
at PerfTune.ViewModels.VFCurveTuningViewModel._pPK9niVCXk965SNDyrgExcKkLjr(LineSeries , Boolean )
2022/11/07-22:55:55.5249|!ERR] Exception thrown while Clearing Series: System.InvalidOperationException: The calling thread cannot access this object because a different thread owns it.
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.VerifyAccess()
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.GetValue(DependencyProperty dp)
at LiveCharts.Wpf.Series.get_Title()
at PerfTune.ViewModels.VFCurveTuningViewModel.‍‬‫‭‎‎‏‌‪‭‫‎‍‏‪‬‭‭‮‭‪‏‬​‬‌​‌‫‎‮(Series )
at PerfTune.ViewModels.VFCurveTuningViewModel._pPK9niVCXk965SNDyrgExcKkLjr(LineSeries , Boolean )

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Sam14, 

I would like to investigate this behavior to confirm if we have any steps for you, since Intel does not provide support ar advised to overclock the processor, this may include changing the CPU frequency and voltage.

To help you further, I would like to confirm if you followed the steps from the article "How to Uninstall the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)".

Please let me know if you followed the previous article.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Sam14
Beginner

I'll give the extended uninstall a shot. By the way, I'm not trying to overclock. I want to undervolt a bit because my CPU is too hot at default (not great airflow in my case). Undervolting is said to be fairly safe, and is even one of the "simple" options in the tool.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Sam14, 

I am glad to know that you will give the steps a try. Thanks for the clarification about the overclocking, however, bear in mind that changing the voltage of the unit may damage the CPU and could void the warranty.

I will be waiting for the outcome of your test.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Sam14
Beginner

Hi Deivid,

I have completed the steps and reinstalled it. There is no change. I'm unable to modify this value. Hopefully, this can be fixed in future versions of the software.

I noticed that in the settings->Advanced Options I can change the Active Power Plan from Balanced -> Power Saver, and I get much better CPU Temps. Can you explain what this setting changes? 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Sam14, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Sam14, 

In order to continue with the investigation, I would appreciate it if you can help me with the following information:

1. Please update the operating system version and build.

2. Take a video of the issue. This is for us to make sure that we will follow the same steps.

3. What is the version of the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)?

4. Provide the logs from C:\ProgramData\Intel\Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Sam14
Beginner

Windows 10.0.19043 and XTU 7.9.1.3. I tried increasing core voltage for the first time and that is working. It's only failing when I try to do a negative core voltage offset, which is the only change I really want to make. Thanks!

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Sam14, 

Thanks for the confirmation and the logs. I will continue with the investigation and I will get back to you as soon as I have any information for you.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Sam14, 

We are still investigating this issue. Bear in mind that by default, the Undervolt Protection probably will be enabled if their system is patched/latest. On some systems, you have to turn ON the overclocking feature to see if undervolt protection is on/off in BIOS. Windows 10 should have the lightning bolt when Undervolt protection is enabled.

To continue with the investigation, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Can you clarify if you were able to run Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) and undervolt prior to the BIOS update?

2. Did you update both (Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) and BIOS) at the same time?

3. Did you make the changes after the BIOS update?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Sam14
Beginner

Hi Deivid,

The bios update was required to support this CPU. I did not use the board with any CPU prior to updating the bios. XTU is not showing me the icon that indicates undervolt protection is enabled.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Sam14, 

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Sam14, 

Thanks for the information. Before I continue I would like to confirm the following:

1. You have not made any BIOS update besides the one needed to support the CPU, is that right?

2. Did the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) allow you to undervolt before?

3. Did the issue appear after an Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) update?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Sam14
Beginner

I recently bought the CPU & Motherboard, but the board didn't support this generation of CPU without a bios update. So I got the latest bios for the board while I put the computer together. On the first day, I noticed it was getting too hot (100C), and after a little research I downloaded XTU to try to undervolt the CPU to see if that would help with the overheating.  So everything is all new. New CPU, New Board, New Bios, New install of XTU, and my First time undervolting.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Sam14, 

Thanks for the information provided. I will check this internally to confirm compatibility and support from the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) to undervolt since in some systems this option may be blocked.

In the meantime, I recommend you check with the motherboard manufacturer to confirm if this feature is available on their BIOS.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Sam14
Beginner

It's definitely available on the bios, but I understand undervolting in the bios to be much higher risk and do not wish to do it there.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Sam14, 

Thanks for your patience. In this case, to confirm some information I would like you to help me with the following:

1. Is Undervolt Protection enabled in BIOS?

2. What is the core voltage range when you run a stress test?

3. Would you be able to share a short video with the advanced Intel® XTU settings view?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Sam14,  

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Sam14,  

I was checking your thread and see that we have not heard back from you.  

I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos