Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Change in E5200 box / case ?!?

idata
Employee

I just received a brand new E5200 02/19/09, but on the box it say - Intel Pentium Inside, as before it was - Intel Pentium Dual-Core Inside, the sticker is with that line as well. Is there a place where we can input the S/N of the cpu and check if genuine?

on the left is the new one, on the right an old case. There are other differences as well. Also the CPU heat sink is not smooth on the bottom where the thermal compound is. On the small sticker that comes with the cpu passport it say - "Intel Pentium Inside", and not "Intel Pentium Dual-Core Inside". So i am just asking if that's a new kind of casing and labeling or there is something strange with that batch of cpu's. The product code and MM# are the same as the old ones, only the case/box, labels, and heat sink is different as well as the fpo/batch ( but that's normal).

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

I have search on this Intel site, it doesn't have any link to register their product

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No one else? Does anyone know the Intel PR departament mail? I can not find any information about case changes and i do want to know if this batch is a fake or just the cases are new.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi there,

Well I dont think intel will have any way/tool publicly available to verify the serial numbers, however i have found this little tool-like from intel which is quite informative sometimes.http://ark.intel.com/. You can check the processor details from that tool..you can use the SL number that is on the processor to identify your processor. The FPO/batch number can be different. Then if the SL number is different then the processors are different. But also please note there are two steppings for the E5200 processor: http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ParentRadio=All&ProcFam=0&SearchKey=e5200 but they are both the E5200 processor. So if the sl number is different from those two then i think there is something wrong with the packaging.

If you are still worried I would recommend to contact your point of purchase before going any further.

Cheers

0 Kudos