Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

Changing Base Clock Frequency of Intel Chips

MAVERICK
Beginner

Task manager.jpgHi,

My laptop model is ASUS VivoBook X510UFO which runs Intel Core i5-8250U chip. The base clock frequency of this chip is 1.60 GHz, and the "configurable TDP-up frequency" is 1.80 GHz (came to know from the official Intel website).

Now, the chip is running at the base speed of 1.80 GHz. Can someone please tell me how it changed the base speed all by itself? And whether I can change back to the base speed of 1.60 GHz?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MAVERICK, Thank you for posting on this Intel Community. The Configurable TDP-up/down operating modes mean that the Base Frequency and TDP of an Intel® Processor can be modified within the specific values available for each processor at the product specification page (https://ark.intel.com). Depending on the design of the chassis/cooling solution, operating power, or end-user needs in a specific computer, Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) may implement this change as they see fit. Since these implementations are usually performed by OEMs, we recommend contacting your computer manufacturer to obtain accurate information about this mode and if there is a way of modifying it. This could be done from BIOS if OEMs allow it. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos