Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Chipset Z590-A

Barefoot
Novice
Am I understanding correctly that this chipset is backwards compatible with Z490 processors? New MSI mobo has LGA1200 socket and new Z590 chipset. I want to order a i7 10th gen processor that's on sale, has 10 cores, etc. but says 4** chipset only. The assumption is both 10th and 11th gen procs. will work.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Barefoot, Thank you very much for your response and for providing that information.

Yes, the thing in this specific case, regarding the chipset, is that only MSI will be able to provide the information that you are looking for, since they are the ones that created the BIOS on the board and subsequently the processors that will be compatible with it.

Now, if you have the option to provide the complete model of the motherboard that you are using or that you have, I can always look into MSI's website and check if I can get the list of Intel® Processors that are compatible with it so we can make sure which ones will work for sure with the chipset and the BIOS of it.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Barefoot, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

For this specific scenario, the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly with MSI, provide the model of the board and check with them which processors are compatible with that board and with the BIOS of it, once you get the list of units then you can choose from any one of those processors listed making sure that it will work with that board.

https://us.msi.com/support

Regards,

Albert R.

Barefoot
Novice
Thanks for your input, but I had gotten hold of Micro Star.. the "chart" for the board comes up wrong on my Samsung phone... I can't even create my user profile for warranty. 🥺 I have to use a pc to view their site correctly, but of course I'm in a VA hospital, and the phone is all I've got access to. So I was going to you guys about the chipset differences. It looks to me that 10th generation processors, which shows up as fitting a LGA1200 slot, were 400 series (ie Z490) compatible. This would indicate to ME, that the 500 chipsets were backwards compatible. But not being certain, and unable to view MSI's chart properly (in short, unable to view the Intel model numbers) well, you know.. shot in the dark territory.
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Barefoot, Thank you very much for your response and for providing that information.

Yes, the thing in this specific case, regarding the chipset, is that only MSI will be able to provide the information that you are looking for, since they are the ones that created the BIOS on the board and subsequently the processors that will be compatible with it.

Now, if you have the option to provide the complete model of the motherboard that you are using or that you have, I can always look into MSI's website and check if I can get the list of Intel® Processors that are compatible with it so we can make sure which ones will work for sure with the chipset and the BIOS of it.

Regards,

Albert R.

Barefoot
Novice
The best I can tell, the model number is "MSI Z590-A PRO"
Neweggs' item number for it is N82E16813144392
This should give you sufficient info. I thought for the $ it was a good deal for teaching my 15 year old protégé for his first build. The description says "Supports 11 / 10th Gen Core Processors". I found the BX8070811700 Proc for $339.99. I was looking at a 10th Gen model at $283.99. The 11th gen processor would take advantage of the mobo's full capabilities, so I'm gonna go all in on it for this build.
I haven't built a pc for quite some years, the last being a 2011. X99 unit with 3 GTX Video cards, 3 one terabyte HD's, and 32gb ram. Things have changed since then, huh?
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Barefoot, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

In the following link, you will find the list of Intel® Processors supported by the MSI Z590-A PRO board, as you mentioned, it does support both, 11th and 10th gen processors:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z590-A-PRO#support-cpu

Still, if possible, we recommend to check with MSI directly about this topic to get further details about the BIOS version that supports each processor:

https://us.msi.com/support

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos