Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Comet Lake 10700F Overheating.

Marcelo_Arsat
Beginner

Hi , I hope they are well.

I recently bought a bran new set up and it includes a 10th generation intel I7 processor. the exact model is "10700F"

my Set Up is like this:
Motherboard:  MAG B460M MORTAR
Proccessor : Intel I7 10700F with Stock Cooler.

RAM Memory : 16GB Ram , KINSTON Fury 2933 mhz. (1 slot)
Graphics Card : MSI NVidia GTX 1650

HDD:  1TB SATA (Spinning) 3.5´´Western Digital Blue 

SDD: 256 GB Kinston SSD 2.5´´  

Motherboard was configured for "maximun speed in all fans"

When I start my machine the CPU hits 50° C Celsius, it seems to be a little high at this point, but when I start "Fortnite" The CPU Temperature HITS 100°C Degrees or maybe more.

I´ve updated my BIOS  replaced the thermal grease, re-place the cooler and all these seems to be useless.

CPU Temperature Keeps Hitting 100° C after 10 minutes playing FORTNITE.

Once temperature hits "100°C" I manually turn off my PC, to prevent damage.

I am Using CPUID HWMonitor (software) in order to check on screen tempearture values.

Package also has hit 106°C .

I´m dissapointed, and frustrated , I dont know what to do.

Would you be so kind in help me ?

Thanks in advance.

Marcelo  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Marcelo_Arsat, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, just to let you know, the T-junction of the Intel® Core™ i7-10700F is 100°C, so any temperature grade below that value is considered normal and expected, you can confirm that information here:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199318/intel-core-i7-10700f-processor-16m-cache-up-to-4-80-ghz.html

The memory RAM that you are using seems to be fully compatible with the Intel® Processor that supports DDR4-2933 with 1.2 voltage:

https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX429C17FB2K2_16.pdf

Is the PC getting freeze, throttling, or going off by itself? Those are the main symptoms of overheating, if the computer is not doing any of those things then it is working properly.

In order to rule out a possible hardware issue with the Intel® Processor, we do have a tool that does an overall test on the unit and if it passes the test it means that the device is working with no problems, it is called Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Also, we suggest to install the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility in order to see and monitor the temperature of the Intel® Processor in real-time:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Regarding "Fornite" games are usually GPU intensive, so it is expected for the temperature to rise while playing the game. Did you verify the game requirements with the game developers to make sure your system complies with them?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Marcelo_Arsat, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Marcelo_Arsat
Beginner

Hi , I´ve bought and installed a "Cool Master" MA620P, and replace boxed cooler thermal grease, and place in that spot a rice grain amount of Artic MX4 thermal paste.

Results are that CPU temp never goes beyond 70°C.

Problem Solved.

P.S: Intel shoudnt sent to the market a "boxed cooler" : whith this piece of hardware we cant stop this proccesor beyond 100°C.

This proceesor starts to perform thermal throtling at 100°C and, of course temperature drops to 100°C , for seconds , and again hits 100°C , proccessor never stops , nor shutdown or whatsoever.

But,  IMHO I believe it is not intended to a processor work like this. cutting power due to overheating all the time.

Regards 

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi Marcelo_Arsat, Thank you very much for providing those results.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the problem got fixed by installing a "Cool Master" MA620P and re-applying Artic MX4 thermal paste and now the computer is working properly.

In regard to your comments, just to let you know, for Intel® is very important the feedback and suggestions provided by our customers, so I will send your recommendations to the proper department for them to be aware of your observations about this matter in order to improve the product for further releases.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos