Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Compatible CPU Suggestion? I7 CPU 860

FrenchMan
Beginner

Hi there. I'm trying to boost my PC a little. I trying to find what CPU would be better than my I7 CPU 860 2.80GHz (discontinued and purchased last quarter of 2009...)  quad cores, 8 logical processors socket  LGA1156...  I think that any of the new generation compatible with this socket would be better but i'm no expert... I mainly do video editing for fun. I find that this CPU is little slow calculating during the rendering process. Anyone can help? I have 24GO RAM and changing my old diskdrive for a SSD this week son that will help too. 

thank you so much.

Frenchman from Québec

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

It is not just socket compatibility that you need to worry about.  An upgrade processor must also be chipset AND BIOS compatible.

Contact the motherboard/system manufacturer and ask them what processors are compatible with THEIR BIOS, and then select from those.

Personally, I would abandon your system in favor of a new(er) system.

0 Kudos
FrenchMan
Beginner

Super, thank you. so much for this quick reply  I thought that with the socket thing it would  be like changing a tire to a rim... Like I said I'm no expert. So I agree that changing PC is the next innevitable step. I will try to get a little juice from this one while shoping for the next best thing for me. Thanks for your reply. I will not invest more time in this quest but rather get to know what is on the market now for my project. Regards. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There are only one or two better processors that can be used in this socket and,

1. These processor do not really offer much of a performance improvement over what you have.
  2. There is the possibility that these processors are not supported by your board.

Sorry, reality bites.

...S

[Grew up in Ontario - but lived in Montreal for a few years back in the 70's. Now living in Oregon]

FrenchMan
Beginner

Hey Scott, thanks. Yhea I think I need to get better gear for video editing. 12 years is pretty much the most I will get from this pc... LOL. I will change for a SSD drive while I shop for the best next system for me. My drive is as old as my pc so I can see alot of activity there when it is rededing video.. So I think I will gain some speed with SSD drive. I will take my time to research what I need nowaday to do another 10 years with the same gear. If such a thing is possible. I thought that changing CPU white proper socket was easy as changing a tire no a rim... Well like you said, reality bites and it reveals my limited understanding of PC's! But I think I did my share with envirronement with this pc... Made it last as much as possible... So you were in Montréal in the 70... Best time ever to be there. I live upnorth in the Laurentians... Peaceful and quiet. thanx for the reply.

Frenchman

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If you are going to install a SSD, check the speed of the SATA ports on the motherboard.  You may end up with a SATA II port on the board, and a SATA III SSD, in which case your SSD will not be running at its best speed.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Al is bringing up a very important point. The 5 Series chipset that is matched with your i7-860 processor only has support for SATA-II. In my last 5 Series system (gone to a needy home), what I did was add one of these cards: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01452SP1O,

• It provides you with a 2-port SATA III controller, one port to support your SSD and one port to support a secondary HDD/SSD/SSHD drive. 
  • You attach your 2.5" SATA SSD right to the card. No fussing to mount the SSD elsewhere in your chassis (which, based on age, won't have mount points for 2.5" drives.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos