Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Computer crashing with no BSOD under CPU intensive operations

ExCS
Novice

Hello,

I have a i5-4690K, pretty old but this problem has been occurring for years and I literally just narrowed it down to CPU. Basically when doing stuff that requires a bit of processing, like video games or video rendering, my computer will shut off. No warning, no BSOD, just suddenly it's off and restarting. It was really infrequent for a long while but has really picked up in the last year, I replaced PSU thinking that was cause and it still happened. Finally the other day after more searching I found someone with same problem and a way to check if it's CPU. GIMPS Prime95 software. This program makes my computer turn off in less than 10 seconds from hitting the confirm button on it. This occurs with CPU at base clock too. Anybody have any solutions to try or do I need to get a new CPU?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ExCS
Novice

If anybody finds this and has the same problem: Check your core voltage. I updated BIOS and my core voltage was wrong, changing core voltage to 1.2V fixed it. I am not sure if the BIOS update or the core voltage was the fix but one of them fixed it and my computer no longer crashes under CPU intensive operations.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Replace the thermal paste.

Clean the cpu heatsink.

Make sure the cpu is working.

Make sure the case fans are working.

Insure proper ventilation.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
ExCS
Novice

I re thermal pasted and cleaned everything when I replaced PSU. All fans work. I really don't think it has to do with thermals considering CPU can be cold and will still crash in 10 seconds of running Prime95.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Okay, stop running Prime95 and run IPDT instead>

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005567/processors.html

0 Kudos
ExCS
Novice

IPDT crashes my computer in same way on CPULoad test.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What is your motherboard model number?

0 Kudos
ExCS
Novice

My motherboard is an ASRock H97.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Have you updated to the latest bios for that board?

If so, then I cannot help you further.   You may be looking at a processor failure, or motherboard component failure.   Not sure it is worth fixing.

0 Kudos
ExCS
Novice

Well updating the BIOS has essentially bricked my computer. BSODs almost immediately after startup and have gotten no less than 6 different BSOD codes. Microsoft support is **bleep** clueless. ASRock support hasn't replied, but something is seriously wrong with something in my computer, can't even get to desktop without a BSOD.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The BIOS update, if applied correctly, should not have caused you a problem.  The motherboard, or memory, or processor could be failing.  You are dealing with a system that is almost a decade old.

0 Kudos
ExCS
Novice

I am aware that the BIOS update is not the problem, merely a cause. Windows support says sounds like a hardware thing contact your mobo manufacturer, ASRock says sounds like a Windows thing. Intel support won't let me contact them because my CPU is too old, which I understand. I'm both annoyed and glad that I now have a reason to upgrade half my system lol.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello ExCS, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. Thank you for understanding.  

Discontinued Products: 

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
ExCS
Novice

If anybody finds this and has the same problem: Check your core voltage. I updated BIOS and my core voltage was wrong, changing core voltage to 1.2V fixed it. I am not sure if the BIOS update or the core voltage was the fix but one of them fixed it and my computer no longer crashes under CPU intensive operations.

0 Kudos