Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Computer freeze for a few seconds on login/startup

Steelwolf
Beginner

Sometimes it happens when I get to the login screen before I can enter my pin and sometimes it happens when I first get to the desktop. When I checked event viewer, I see this error:

The iocbios2 service failed to start due to the following error:
Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

Source is "Service Control manager", and the event ID is 7000

My event viewer is showing this error a lot, and it only seems to happen when I am starting my pc. I think it has something to do with the Intel Xtreme Utility software but I am not sure. How can I fix this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Steelwolf, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

I would appreciate if you can confirm the following:  

1. Is your system freezing only for a few seconds in the startup and then is able to boot normally? If you are not able to boot how did you get to the event viewer? Please explain with details.  

2. If you are able to boot, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach). Please note that only one file can be attached at a time. 

3. If you cannot boot or cannot run the Intel® SSU, please provide the following: 

• System's brand and model number. 
  • Processor's brand and model number. 
  • Operating System (OS) version. 

4. Did your system work before? If yes, did you make any changes before the issue started? 

5. Do you remember making any changes to the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)? E.g. installing/uninstalling, updating it, etc. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.  

0 Kudos
Steelwolf
Beginner

1.Freezes for a few seconds then boots normally.

2. attached

3. see above

4. This problem started recently, I haven't been able to figure out why.

5. I havent touched the XTU in a while. When this problem started, I ran the software to check for updates but there were none. I believe I used it before because my CPU was factory overclocked and ran at higher clocks than default, so I used the XTU to underclock it. I left it installed afterwards.

I went through the SSU Log and noticed I have tons of other errors, some related to my Intel network adapter and other things. Now I have no clue what could be causing the freeze. I assumed it was the iocbios2 error because when the freeze occurs and I check event viewer, the time matches when I get to the login screen or desktop.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Steelwolf, 

Thank you for your reply, please check the following recommendations: 

1. Completely remove the Intel® XTU from your system. 

• First, delete the Intel® XTU from Apps and Features. 
  • Delete any folder named Intel® XTU from these locations: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel" , "C:\ProgramData\Intel
  • Delete the folder named " Intel® Intel Telemetry" under “C:\ProgramData:” 

2. Then, set your BIOS to the default settings (check with Gigabyte for guidance on this) and let us know about the outcome.  

3. In case that stops the issue, you can try reinstalling the Intel® XTU using the latest version

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Steelwolf,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Steelwolf
Beginner

I uninstalled XTU but still had the freeze, so I also went through and fixed a few other errors I noticed popping up on startup. So far I haven't noticed the freezing or seen errors added to event viewer so I think the issue maybe resolved, but now I am not exactly sure what the issue was.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Steelwolf, 

Thank you for the update. 

Since you deleted the Intel® XTU completely from your system and this is still having freezing issues, this does not seem to be related to the tool.  

I am glad that you were able to fix other errors and that stopped the issue. Based on this, I will highly recommend you checking with Microsoft* since this behavior appears to be related to your Operating System (OS). 

We will proceed to close this inquiry from our side, if you need further assistance; please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos