Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Continuous Power Limit throttling

astonmaksim
Beginner

Hi dear all

Is it normally that if CPU (Intel 10750) is loaded then Power limit throttling is on almost constantly despite the tempurature is about 77-80 degrees?
Nothing changed in xtu, just measured

So this is first my encounter where PLT is used not as "emergency feature" to save your CPU meanwhile is used as usual internal tool to keep power as designed. Am I right? Or this this some inadequate behavior? 

PS PLT throttling is on even if I use ECO mode that keeps max TDP of CPU  around 13Watt

Best regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello astonmaksim,   

Thank you for your reply. 

Power Throttling can be considered normal as long as it does not affect your CPU's performance. If the system operates normally and the CPU works as expected, then it should not be a problem. 

However, either way, you should check with your OEM for every possible power/cooling delivery issues, or any BIOS setting that can be causing this problem.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

Intel Customer Support Technician  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello astonmaksim, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

So we can better assist you, please provide the following details: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach). 

2. Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send the results either in a screenshot or .txt file. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply. 

3. Have you checked the system BIOS to see if there is any power limit set there? Please provide a picture if you find a similar setting.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
astonmaksim
Beginner

Hello, dear helper

I will provide them a bit later

0 Kudos
astonmaksim
Beginner

Please, review results of tests (attached).

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello astonmaksim,  

Thanks for your reply. 

Based on your reports, please follow these recommendations: 

1. I would like to clarify that the  Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU), is not compatible with your processor model, you can check that on the download site, under "This download is valid for the product(s) listed below": https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU- 

2. As per the outcome of the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, the CPU seems to be working fine. 

3. In this case, the power throttling can be shown due to several factors, like: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000039154/processors/intel-core-processors.html 

• Processor Power Limits PL1/PL2 and Core Voltage limit are set too low in Intel® XTU. As you mentioned you did not change anything in the Intel® XTU, this should not be a problem, but you can double-check.  
  • Power limit configuration in the system BIOS, or the BIOS can be corrupted or misconfigured.  
  • Wrong power and cooling efficiency from the system's side. 

4. Based on the above, I will highly recommend you to check with your system manufacturer (OEM) for any setting on the BIOS that can be affecting the power delivery of the system.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
astonmaksim
Beginner

Dear helper

I am so appreciated for your detailed answers that made things clear.

I will do as you recommended me. 
Thank you/

0 Kudos
astonmaksim
Beginner

But one more question please
Can such behavior (like constant power throttling) for loaded processor be considedred as normal / acceptable for new laptop? Or it is serious reason to make some investigation?
PS I use XTU for diagnostic only now, nothing changed.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello astonmaksim,   

Thank you for your reply. 

Power Throttling can be considered normal as long as it does not affect your CPU's performance. If the system operates normally and the CPU works as expected, then it should not be a problem. 

However, either way, you should check with your OEM for every possible power/cooling delivery issues, or any BIOS setting that can be causing this problem.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Power Throttling is a method that laptop vendors can use to limit power consumption (and thus heat generation). This enables them to brag about better battery life without providing a better design and allows them to get away with shipping a cheaper cooling solution. Either way, they are robbing you of processor performance for their own gain. I would like to be able to say that it is just a few slimeball companies, but it is almost every vendor out there.

Sigh!

...S

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello astonmaksim,

I can see that my previous reply was marked as a solution.

Based on that, we will proceed to close this inquiry. If you have any additional questions, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,    

Sebastian M

0 Kudos