Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

Core 2 Duo E7500 running slow

idata
Employee

G'day

The other day I woke up and noticed my computer was on the startup screen, telling me it couldn't detect a CPU fan (You'd think if it was unable to detect a CPU fan it'd shut it's self off to avoid over heating =/).

The concerning part of this, was the processor field which should've said "Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz" was reporting only 1.6ghz.

I rebooted, no further issues with CPU fan (Even checked bios and all the settings were correct and fan was reporting a speed) but it still only reported 1.6ghz.

Anybody know of a fix for this?

Edit: The computer rebooted to install windows updates.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

It sound to me like you will need to go into your BIOS and change the speed of your CPU to the desired speed you want it to perform at.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I already gave that a shot, I couldn't find anything to do with speed selection.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

To find the reason and solution for your slow system from Intel Experts, you can join Intel Live Chat on 26th March @ 3:00PM IST. More info @ www.intellivechat.com and on skype @ IntelLiveChat

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is the CPU detected correctly in BIOS?

i would suggest taking the system to bits and putting it back together..even reseating the CPU, and make sure all the connections are good. Then boot see what you get in BIOS and the OS. Then possibly reinstall th eOS

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In the bios it was saying "Core 2 Duo: 2.93ghz", but under speed saying 1.6ghz.

Anyway, I've managed to fix it now, I just had to reset the CMOS

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You may still have a BIOS corruption. If you continue to experience problems I suggest to update your BIOS.

PV.

0 Kudos