Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Core Temps minimum drop to 0c

Dylanamo
Beginner

Good Evening, 

Been getting strange temperature readings from my i-7 12700k I installed a couple days ago. It never reaches dangerously high temps, it's actually the opposite that is the problem. On numerous different temperature monitoring software, including Core Temp and Hardware Monitor  I see minimum core temperatures on certain cores dip down to 0c. I know this is not normal. Is there a fix to this? Note: I am running the latest version of Bios on MSI z690-A Pro DDR4.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello Dylanamo

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. 

In this case, we cannot rely on 3rd party tools to check CPU temperatures, please download our Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) and check the temperature that you get performing different tasks. Let me know the results. 

You can download it from the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Dylanamo
Beginner

I did what you said, and Pcore 0, 1, 2, 3 all showed the same drops to 0 degrees Celsius as minimums over the course of an hour of web browsing and a bit of gaming. As I said, the temps aren't too high, but certain cores and showing mimimum temperatures of 0 even with Intel Extreme Tuning Monitor software

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Dylanamo,

Thank you for the information provided, please provide me with a picture of the monitoring section of XTU in order for us to check all the information. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Dylanamo,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Dylanamo
Beginner
I spoke to another Intel representative who acknowledged this is a common thing, and that it seems when more cores are added, and certain cores have no activity this could happen.

Im more interested in the results of this thread, our CPUs failing your IPDT. Is this due to lack of Alder Lake support?

https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/12700k-Brand-String-and-freq-test-fails-in-IPDT/td-p/1337070
0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Dylanamo,

Thanks for the information provided, regarding your inquiry about IPDT, I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Dylanamo,

In this case, we can confirm that the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool does not yet support in 12th generation processors. A team is working on a new version that supports these processors, however, for the moment there is no ETA for it to get released.  

Hope this information is useful, please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos