Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14990 Discussions

Core i3-8100 and Chipset C246

reilk
Beginner

Hello,

is the i3-8100 CPU fully compatible with Chipset C246 ?

The compatibilty list on Intel website doesn't say so, but the compatibility list for my motherboard (WS C246M PRO/SE) on ASUS website says it is compatible.

Will the ECC work for this combination of CPU and Chipset (with the correct RAM of course) ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello reilk,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. I understand that you are looking for information about the i3-8100 processor and Chipset C246 compatibility.

Regarding your question, if the ECC will work with this combination. It is important to mention that based on the CPU specifications, it does support ECC memory.

About the compatibility query, as per the information at our end, the Chipset C246 hasn't been validated to work alongside the i3-8100 CPU, you can check our information on our compatibility website. It is important to mention that this is a server chipset, and it is developed with our Xeon server processors in mind.

However, your motherboard manufacturer's website, states that the processor is compatible with i3-8100 and is supported by their system. I would recommend that you confirm with ASUS support for confirmation if the processor is compatible with their product.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello reilk,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello reilk,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
reilk
Beginner

Hello Jean,

you have partly answered the question. 

I ordered the mentioned parts and a real world test will follow shortly.

I hope that the compatibility will be OK and the ECC will work properly.

I am still quite concerned though. I don't understand how ASUS made the Intel Chipset compatible with this Intel CPU while Intel itself did not know about this compatibility.

Thanks and regards

Milan

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello reilk,

Thanks for your response.

I understand that you are still concerned about compatibility. However, you should contact ASUS support for confirmation whether or not the processor would work with their motherboard and their BIOS.

Since there is no recommendation at our end, I will close it now.  

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos