Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Core i5 450M @ 2.40GHz Arrandale

WKort
Beginner

Core i5 450M @ 2.40GHz Arrandale - is it OK if the chip regularly hits 102° C? (temperature tracking via Speccy). Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Well, you may want to use a tool that is a bit more useful and accurate than Speccy.

What operating system are you using?

https://ark.intel.com/products/49022/Intel-Core-i5-450M-Processor-3M-cache-2_40-GHz Intel® Core™ i5-450M Processor (3M cache, 2.40 GHz) Product Specifications

Doc

WKort
Beginner

Windows 10. I see the max T Junction is 105° C - if the 102° C reading is accurate, is that too close for comfort?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would say that it's too close for comfort. Your system is reaching that age where things are going to start to fail. In this case, your processor is overheating and the typical reason for this in units this old is that the Thermal Interface Material (TIM, a.k.a. grease, paste, goop, etc.) that facilitates heat transfer from the processor to the heatsink is degrading (drying up, separating, etc.). If you are handy, you can attempt to replace this yourself, but I have to ask whether it is worth it for a Laptop that is almost eight years old.

...S

0 Kudos
WKort
Beginner

Thank you for the information - very helpful.

0 Kudos