Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Core i7-4650U: HP Elitebook Folio 1040 G1 started randomly freezing/crashing about two months ago

Bun-chan
Novice

Windows 10 Pro version 2004 Build 19041.508.  The driver software is updated (HD Graphics 5000 version 20.19.15.5126), but the PC's screen freezes and goes black randomly especially when I use Zoom and Youtube.  I then receive messages like "Application ...... has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware. I have performed in command prompt SFC /scannnow, DISM, etc. and found no issue.  I ran other hardware checks multiple times and found no issue. 

The applications that have been blocked include, but not limited to, MS Windows OS, Zoom.exe, Chrome.exe, ShellExperienc, SecHealthUI.ex, SearchApp.exe, SystemSettings.

I understand there is no update for Core i7-4650U (HD Graphics 5000 version 20.19.15.5126).  Is there any other driver that I can try to fix this issue?  PC seems to work fine as far as I am not using videos, but I could be wrong.  Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You should clean your heatsink/cooler and make certain there is adequate ventilation.   If accessible, you should also re-apply your thermal paste.

No, there is no other driver.

0 Kudos
Bun-chan
Novice

Hi AlHill,

Thank you for your suggestion.  I ran a temp measuring app to see how hot it gets.  The temps are mostly somewhere in upper 40s C to 50s, which I don't believe too hot.  I opened the notebook and checked inside and blew some air, but it's pretty clean.

Do you think those temps are too high?  I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 and made sure the graphics driver is up to date, but the screen goes black and freezes randomly.  I have to shut down the notebook and restart.  As far as I just surf the web or work on Word docs, etc., the PC seems to be fine.

Could it be a conflict between Windows 10 and the graphic driver?  Can you think of anything else that I can try?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You could have a memory problem.   Can you try different memory?

0 Kudos
Bun-chan
Novice

Hi AlHill,

No, I don't have anything to swap with.  All hardware tests that I did came back OK, but you may be right.  It could be a hardware issue.  It's a shame the PC still looks great, and I love it.

In any case, I just ordered a new ThinkPad X1 Carbon.  I spent enough time trying to solve this issue, but I gave up.

Thanks for your trying to help me.

Stay safe.

0 Kudos