Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

Core i7 8700 3.2GHz CPU Hits 99 degrees C with Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool Test, 100 degrees C with ASUS Realbench

DBill3
Beginner

I'm a bit concerned about the temperatures at which my processor is operating. When I run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool the temperature hits 99 C. When I stress test the system using ASUS Realbench, the temperature maxes out at 100 C. Should the CPU be expected to hit these temperatures when put under loads by the aforementioned utilities? As a precaution, I've set Maximum Processor State under Processor Power Management to 99 % under Power Options and it never gets that high.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

its normal , while testing , once completed test , at normal usage , whats the cpu temperature shows /

use the utilities provided by intel , which are called intel processor diagnostic tool and intel processor identification utility

0 Kudos
DBill3
Beginner

I'm using those tools, and that's what the diagnostic tool is telling me. It isn't a constant temperature spike though, only brief and when under full load.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello DBill3, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. I would like to know the temperature at which the system is running when idle. Also, it is important to gather more information of the system, specifically I would like to request an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Make sure to attach the created report to this thread. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DBill3
Beginner

Hi

Right now my CPU is idling anywhere between 42-45 degrees C. I've also attached the SSU report file as requested.

Cheers

David

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello DBill3, Thank you for your response. I would like to actually request the results of the Intel ® Processor Diagnostic Tool so that I can check the temperature shown there, also, have you checked the fan profile? Have you changed it? If possible, try changing the fan profile to high performance to see if the temperature shown when you run the stress tests is reduced. Let me know please. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DBill3
Beginner

Hi

I went into the BIOS and changed the fan speed to full. Since then, the processor diagnostic tool is reporting a maximum temperature that is about 10-14 degrees lower than before (max temp 85 degrees). I have attached the full results file for your reference.

Cheers

David

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello DBill3, Thank you for your response. That temperature is great, you could try adjusting the settings of the fan making sure the processor does not reach over 100 C since that is the maximum temperature allowed by it. Also, another tip I could give you is changing the thermal paste between the processor and the heatsink, this could reduce the temperature as well. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DBill3
Beginner

I reset the BIOS settings to their defaults and I'm still getting stress test readings into the 90s, although they're only momentary spikes but they're still a bit lower than what I was getting before. You're right, I may have to reapply the thermal paste.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello DBill3, Thank you for your response. Running the stress test and getting that temperature is actually great considering that it is 10 degrees lower than the maximum allowed by the processor and also taking into consideration the fact that the stress test literally loads the processor to an 100% workload which is most likely more than the normal usage of it. As for now, if possible or when possible, yes, it is advised to change the thermal paste. Let me know if there is something else I can help you with, we are here to help. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos