Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

Core i9-10850K - sudden changes of reported CPU temperature together with CPU load

Egzi
Beginner

When CPU load is changed, the reported temperature closely follows. According to reported values temperature changes by 40C in 2 seconds, both ways, when stress load is turned on/off. This is physically impossible, especially down from 80C to 40C. Why that happens?

The larger graph comes from Aorus motherboard. The smaller one pasted in the meddle is from Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

CPUTemp.png

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Egzi

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following details?

1- Besides this behavior about temperature changes, are you experiencing any other issues? For instance, performance, input lag, or crashes?

2- Is this a new behavior or did you notice it since the first day you have this processor? Is this a new system?

3- We understand that this behavior is observed: "when stress load is turned on/off". Is this correct? Please provide details (step-by-step) on how you are performing the stress load/test.

4- Please provide an Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool report. You can download the proper version (32 or 64 bit) from the link.

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Egzi
Beginner

Hi Andrew.

Thanks for response.

1 - I didn't notice any other issues. Computer functions just fine.

2 - It's an all new system. I have it for about 5 days. It happens from the begging as far as I know, but it become apparent to me when I tried to tune down CPU fan rpms, it become really annoying because fan rpms spike instantly every time there is any load introduced to the CPU (and instantly go down when CPU goes to idle).

3 - That is right. The simplest example is Intel® XTU tool, I go to the "Stress Test", I check "CPU Stress Test", the "Package Temperature" on the graph is below 40C, the moment I hit "Start Testing" temperature instantly spikes to 70C and oscillates around that value, the test goes for 5 min, the moment it ends the temperature instantly (in less than 2 sec) drops back to 40C. But I can use any other stress tool, any other monitoring tool and it always give the same result. Even while simply working on the computer, whenever CPU load goes up, temp INSTANTLY goes up and vice versa. CPU never goes over 85C, never thermothrottles.

Regards, Kris.

0 Kudos
Egzi
Beginner

Another test, showing all core temperatures.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Egzi

Thank you for your response and for all the information provided.

We understand that the computer works fine and the only concern is the one regarding the temperature changes. We also checked the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and the Intel® SSU reports and everything looks normal: the test is passed and BIOS, graphics driver, Windows® seem to be up to date.

The Intel® Core™ i9-10850K Processor has a TJunction Temperature (the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die) of 100°C so it is good to know that the processor is not reaching or going above that. That is a good sign.

Under heavy workloads, it is expected to see an increase in temperature. We will check further about this behavior to see if the timeframe that your report (around 2 seconds) is expected. Please allow us some time and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as we have more details available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Egzi
Beginner

"The Intel® Core™ i9-10850K Processor has a TJunction Temperature of 100°C so it is good to know that the processor is not reaching or going above that. That is a good sign."

Well I don't know about that :). Looking at current temperature behavior it doesn't seem that it is correct in any way. It changes instantly up and down (even though I have AIO cooling system which have high thermal capacity). When load changes temperature instantly settles at some value and stays there, the temperature should increase/decrease with exponential course with time but it doesn't. I don't know what are those values, but it certainly isn't physical CPU temperature. It may as well be overheating and the values shown could be simply wrong.

Waiting for your response, thanks.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Egzi

Thank you for your response.

The TJunction Temperature (100°C) refers to the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die. Let's say the temperature limit at which the processor is under safe temperature conditions.

We mentioned that just to point out that fact since you said "CPU never goes over 85C, never thermothrottles".

We are still checking regarding the behavior of the (fast) temperature changes. As soon as we have more details we will be posting back in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Egzi

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, and considering the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool test is passed and you mentioned you "didn't notice any other issues. Computer functions just fine" (no having Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), no freezes or high temperatures reaching the TJunction Temperature (100°C)) this demonstrates its good performance.

We would recommend checking with your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) the Fan and cooling solution configuration at BIOS, check the power states, check Power settings (CPU min and max set 100%), etc.

If the issue persists it would be nice if you could provide a video to see the behavior and to understand how often and which programs cause the spikes. If this is possible for you, you can attach the video to your reply in the thread or share a link for the video.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Egzi

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Egzi

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Our final recommendation is to check with your motherboard manufacturer the Fan and cooling solution configuration at BIOS, check the power states, check Power settings (CPU min and max set 100%), etc.

GIGABYTE® Service / Support*

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Egzi
Beginner
My posts disappear from this thread after saving.
0 Kudos
Egzi
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

The temperature is all over the place during normal operation. If I understand that correctly the temperature is sourced directly from the processor, so what does motherboard have to do with it, given that the system works just fine over all?

Why the temperature stays at the same value (from the first second) during couple minutes stress test?

Why does it drop instantly by 40*C when the load is taken off?

Don't know if that is something important but it actually goes into power limit throttling after couple of minutes of stress test. Wonder why, the temperature remains constant after all.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QAVFHC6fySK8FnWs6

Regards,
Kris.

0 Kudos
Egzi
Beginner

Hi Andrew,
The temperature is all over the place during normal operation. If I understand that correctly the temperature is sourced directly from the processor, so what does motherboard have to do with it, given that the system works just fine over all?
Why the temperature stays at the same value (from the first second) during couple minutes stress test?
Why does it drop instantly by 40*C when the load is taken off?
Don't know if that is something important but it actually goes into power limit throttling after couple of minutes of stress test. Wonder why, the temperature remains constant after all.

see videos (link with spaces, I guess the link was what caused my posts get deleted)
photos . app . goo . gl / QAVFHC6fySK8FnWs6

Regards,
Kris.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Amongst (many) other things, your motherboard is responsible for the management of the cooling solution that you have on your processor and in your system. Through its BIOS, the motherboard defines the algorithm that defines the response to specific temperatures and ensures that the processor stays at temperatures below the processor's Tjmax temperature. As for the jitter you are seeing in temperature, this is perfectly normal and expected.

...S

0 Kudos