Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14397 Discussions

Core voltage adjustment not working

spooledup
New Contributor I

MSI Z690-A Motherboard

Win 11H

XTU 7.9.0.24

When setting the Core Voltage Mode to static, then setting the Core Voltage to 1.275v, then hitting apply, the voltage varies significantly, sometimes over 1.4v. It's like it never went to static and is still in adaptive.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello spooledup,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

To have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

Why are you trying to set the Core Voltage mode?

If you are trying to configure it in the Intel XTU, please, provide us with a screenshot of your profile settings.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
spooledup
New Contributor I

As I originally mentioned the core voltage is running 1.4v, and many times over that when under load gaming. That to me is excessive and I want to control it down if possible to preserve CPU life and reduce thermal load. Why are you asking me why? Shouldn't it work regardless of reason?

3 steps:

1) Set Core Voltage to Static.

2) Set core Voltage to 1.275v.

3) Click apply

0 Kudos
spooledup
New Contributor I

In addition, when the Voltage Control Mode is set to adaptive, with a negative offset also selected, the core voltage doesn't get offset by the offset amount.

1) Set Voltage Control Mode to Adaptive

2) Set Core Voltage Offset to -.1

3) Click Apply.

Results: Ineffectual, doesn't drop the adaptive range by .1v.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello spooledup,

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
spooledup
New Contributor I

Thanks!

When in Adaptive mode I set the core voltage offset to -.2v and my PC locked up, so it is doing something. Set it back to -.1v and the upper range of the core voltage doesn't appear to go over 1.4v as often and is not as very far over 1.4v like it was at 0.0v offset. So, maybe it is working to some extent after all?

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello spooledup,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

Before continuing with the investigation, I would like to confirm the following:

• Is Undervolt Protection enabled in bios or not?
  • Did they set any voltage value on the system in BIOS?

You should keep in mind the following information:

If undervolt protection is enabled, then you cannot switch from static voltage to adaptive without a cold reboot.

Undervolt protection is enabled by default in many cases. You should check the setting of UVP in BIOS. Sometimes it is necessary to turn ON the OC feature before you can see the undervolt protection option in BIOS.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
spooledup
New Contributor I

Hi Jean, I don't see UVP in my BIOS. In the BIOS I  set the "CPU Core Voltage Mode" to "Override" and that allowed me to select static in XTU. Setting it back to "Auto" highlights adaptive mode in XTU.

Did you happen to test it? Were you able to change it successfully?

Thanks~!

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello spooledup,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello spooledup,

Thanks for the information provided.

Regarding your question, I am still investigating the issue. I stopped the research to confirm this information with you, and based on the information you provided, I will resume the investigation. I will post back as soon as I have more details.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello spooledup,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

The Core Voltage Mode is greyed out and becomes undefined, which normally should show a lightning bolt icon to reflect undervolt protection, so you should see the icon. Do you have Undervolt Protection enabled in BIOS (you may need help from the OEM) in some cases, you have to turn ON the overclocking feature to see if undervolt protection is on/off in BIOS.

Are you able to provide a screenshot of the XTU application? and confirm if there Was there a lightning bolt?

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
spooledup
New Contributor I

Did you test it per my previous instructions?

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello spooledup,

Thanks for your response.

Regarding your questions, I have followed your instruction and I was able to replicate the issue. However, we are investigating this matter and that's why I have provided some information and requested some details about it. Please, provide me with the information requested before.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Daniel123
Beginner
I've also tried using xtu, changed voltages and nothing changed in reality, while using bios I can change the voltages.
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Daniel123,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

Please submit a new question on the Processor community forums, and provide a detailed explanation of the situation to have a more personalized troubleshooting step for your issue. If you'd like, you can try my suggestions from this thread.

Best Regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Daniel123
Beginner
There is no undervolt protection option in my mobile, z690 wifi
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello spooledup,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello spooledup,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos