Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Cpu Launched/Discontinued

EvoLovE
Beginner

Hi All,

I'd like to know why some Cpu have been discontinued

Specifically I'm watching I5 6th gen' Cpus and I noticed that I5 6500 is still in "Launched" state, I5 6600 is "Discontinued" instead, but they were launched at the same time and 6600 is a bit powerful.

Wich are the reasons of that discontinued state? I'm looking to buy an used Cpu, and how should I choose it?

Thanks and Have a Good Life!    

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello EvoLovE

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding your questions, it is worth mentioning that we as a community may not have visibility about the decisions taken on the Life Cycle Status of Intel® Products. Also, in case this information is available, it may require a CNDA (Confidential Non-Disclosure Agreement) with Intel.

"Discontinued" may refer to different statuses on the Life Cycle, for instance: The product is no longer available for shipment to sellers and manufacturers; or no longer manufactured but still technically supported; or no longer manufactured and no longer provided of technical support, etc.

For more information we recommend checking the PCN documentation on https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark.html under Ordering and Compliance >> PCN/MDDS Information.

We will check further regarding your questions and we will post back in the thread as soon as we have more details.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello EvoLovE

We would like to update this thread and inform you that the reason why we have two processors from the same Generation and one of them appears Discontinued at ark.intel.com it's due to market demand.

We recommend checking the PCN documentation on https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark.html under Ordering and Compliance >> PCN/MDDS Information for the latest changes on Product status.

You may also follow the instructions in this link to compare Intel® processors and their technical specifications:

How to Compare Intel® Processors Using Product Specifications Page (ARK) >> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027710/processors.html

Note:

Since you mentioned you are looking to buy an used CPU (secondhand processor), please keep in mind that we don't provide warranty replacement for secondhand processors and you will need to check the warranty with your point of purchase. For more information please check the Frequently Asked Questions about Warranty Services >> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006268/services.html

Best regards,

Andrew G.

EvoLovE
Beginner

Hello AndrewG and thanks for the answers!

the questions were expecially to know if there are any known issues about some Cpu or just for marketing meanings.

I've got still just a doubt about Cpu's specifications:

which are the specifications for "Embedded Options Available" ?

I can't understand what it means by the explanation:
Embedded Options Available indicates products that offer extended purchase availability for intelligent systems and embedded solutions. Product certification and use condition applications can be found in the Production Release Qualification (PRQ) report. See your Intel representative for details.

Thanks and Have A Beautiful Life!!!

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello EvoLovE

Thank you for your response. Yes, the reason why a processor is set as "Discontinued" is basically due to market demand and not because there is an issue with them.

Regarding your last question, The Embedded Options Available feature indicates products that offer extended purchase availability for intelligent systems and embedded solutions (as you already mentioned). This basically means that processors with this feature will generally have a much longer availability after the processor's launch date than processors that don't have Embedded Options.

Embedded indicates that Intel anticipates shipping the product for an extended period of time and usually their availability will be for more years than processors that don't have this feature. Usually, system designers and integrators take this feature into consideration for their large projects, hence, the explanation on the Intel's Product Specifications page (https://ark.intel.com) says "See your Intel representative for details".

Embedded Options is just a general guideline most likely for system designers and integrators. Actual availability and discontinuance timeframes can change and we recommend checking Intel's Product Specifications page and also checking with your Intel sales representative for the latest information in case you are looking to deploy a project using Intel® Processors.

As we informed on our previous post, Intel product discontinuance will be communicated in the form of a Product Change Notification (PCN) document.

We hope this clarify your concerns. Please kindly let us know if you have additional questions and we will gladly assist you.

Sincerely

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello EvoLovE

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can consider this thread "Solved". Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional concerns.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello EvoLovE

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos