Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Cpu Limited at 90% of speed

CarlosAD2102
Beginner

Hi I have an Lenovo ideapad 320 with an I7 - 8550U. I have moticed that when I have to use the max power of the cpu for a task, is limited to the 90% of the maximun power. I don´t Know why is this happening so if someone could help me. Thank You

I have done some cpu stress(the intel one and prime 95) test and the results are the same. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello CarlosAD2102,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

To better assist you, please confirm the below details:

• Is this behavior causing performance issues like crashes or BSOD?
  • Was the processor reaching 100% of its usage before?

I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile. Please reply to the email in order to provide us with some reports to avoid exposing sensitive information in the communities.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
CarlosAD2102
Beginner
Yes when I bought it it reaches100% wit no problem and I don't know why this happened. No there no BSOD problems
0 Kudos
CarlosAD2102
Beginner

I upload the information of the two programs of the email

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello CarlosAD2102,

Thank you for the information provided.

In this case, according to our test the IPDT and based on the fact that this is not affecting your PC performance, we can say that your processor is working fine. Since you are using a third-party system we cannot ensure if it is expected to see the usage at 90%, just to clarify since you said "speed" but according to the screenshots you sent, what is reaching 90% is the usage not the speed of the processor.

The processor will not run at 100% all the time, and it is expected to see an increase or decrease while doing different tasks, it will depend on the workload, hardware, software, and overall system configuration.

In this case, the Original Equipment Manufacturer may customize the processor and modify its performance to work properly with the system specifications they design. Intel just provides the CPU in stock settings, and we do not have control over any customization that the equipment manufacturer has performed.

The best course of action is to contact the equipment manufacturer, Lenovo, to confirm if it is normal to see the PC working at 90% of usage, also, they can guide you to change/modify the power settings on your laptop that may limit the usage and speed to save energy.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello CarlosAD2102,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello CarlosAD2102,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos