Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Current/EDP limit throttling happens when switch between profiles in IETU

Tai_Le
Novice

Dear All,

I have two profiles in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, I turn on function 'App-Profile Pairing' and i see one problem happened. When IETU switches between two profiles, a short moment 'Current/EDP limit throttling' somtimes happened, arround 1s (view attached photo). I don't know the reason why?

-I set 'Processor Core IccMax' to maximum, the problem still happens.

-I increase 'Turbo Boost Short Power Max' to 65W, the problem still happens.

My laptop runs low workload, temperature is low, stress test is OK.

In my opinion, this is a bug of software IETU.

Could someone help me to solve this problem?

Profile 1.png

Profile 2.png

Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello User15927217782858434442

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

·       I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

·       Steps to save the report:

1-    Run the utility.

2-    Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system.

3-    Once the scan is complete click on “next”.

4-    Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop.

5-    To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

·       Can you share a video of the issue?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Have you been able to collect the details requested?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Tai_Le
Novice

Dear All Intel Support,
Thank you so much for your feedback, please have look attached system report in attached file.
One more information about IETU, few days ago, after i updated to the latest BIOS 1.19.2 from Dell website, the IETU was disabled almost all functions, please view attached photos. I don't know why new BIOS prohibits modify settings of CPU, GPU,...Could Intel help me solve this problem? My laptop is very hot if runs Turbo Boost, so i need undervolt CPU, undervolt GPU, decrease/adjust clock of Turbo Boost for each core....
I like the software IETU but now i cannot do anything to fix this issue. I tried reinstall IETU but it doesn't work.

My laptop: Dell Precision 5520
CPU Core I7-7820HQ 2.9Ghz
RAM: 16GB
Display: UHD 4K
iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 630
dGPU: Quadro M1200 RAM 4GB
Window 10 pro-64bit latest version.
Service Tag: 3JHJ7H2

Looking forward to your feedback!
Thanks a lot!

3.JPG4.JPG

0 Kudos
ChrisTheGr8est
Beginner

I have the same processor 7820HQ and i had the same problem with everything being locked, 
so did my research and found out that downgrading my bios to 1.5.1 then restoring bios defaults fixed the problem.
just now i updated my bios to 1.19.2 same as yours, and everything is still unlocked.
so first i would just boot to bios then reset bios default, then see if that unlocks your XTU.  

Screenshot 2021-06-30 083201.pngScreenshot 2021-06-30 083344.pngScreenshot 2021-06-30 083449.png

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Thank you for the system details. I would like to share with you that Intel® XTU is not validated for your Intel® Core™ i7-7820HQ Processor (you can find the list of the validated processor in Intel® XTU download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-).

It is also important to take into consideration that the Intel® Core™ i7-7820HQ Processor an unlocked processor to manually alter the frequencies and voltage if the system is reaching high temperatures that best approach to contact the system manufacturer to evaluate the system's thermal solution/design.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Tai_Le
Novice

Hi Leonardo,
I had already contacted/chated to Dell support but they didn't support me on this issue, they said that my laptop is out of warranty and they refuse support although this problem come from their design and their BIOS. I would like to say the Dell support system is very bad, i contacted them many times, post many threads on Dell forum but no one of Dell care about this.
Dell designed this laptop models is very s|tupid, they set up default clock of CPU too high, the laptop is very hot when using and the laptop easy throttle power and throttle current, you can see their default set up in the photo at my first post, as below:
-1 active core: 3.9GHz
-2 active core: 3.7GHz
-3 active core: 3.6GHz
-4 active core: 3.5GHz
When i start up the window, the temperature always >90 degree. When we do stress test the laptop easy shutdown because overheat.
We must use software IETU to decrease Boost clock, undervolt CPU and iGPU, the temperature of laptop much cooler. Everything is fine until update new BIOS of Dell.
Could Intel update new version of IETU to unlock manual settings for these cases?
Thank you!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
We cant do anything about the BIOS locking you out.
The tool is called 'XTU', BTW.
So tell me again why you would ever want to consider purchasing another Dell system. Their record speaks for itself: Crappy warranty and poor support. Awful.
...S
0 Kudos
Tai_Le
Novice

I have just bought this laptop from a friend and i am not sure i will buy Dell laptop again....
i have just find new information about the issue with XTU, it seems Intel microcode update is the root cause make disable all functions of XTU, please view the link below:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3489538/plundervolt-attack-against-intel-core-cpus-prompts-fix-that-disables-cpu-voltage-settings.html

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Nonetheless, XTU ONLY supports X and K processors.

Doc

0 Kudos
Tai_Le
Novice

@AlHill 

Before update new BIOS, my XTU works fine. The new BIOS disabled XTU.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Do you have an X or K processor?  No, you do not.  Just look at the XTU page and view the list of supported processors.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU

Again, only X and K processors are supported.

Your processor is simply not supported.

Doc

0 Kudos