Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

D850MVSE MoBo Processor Upgrade From 1.8 to 2.8

idata
Employee

Can I install and use an Intel P4 Processor rated at 2.6 or 2.8GHz 400MHz 512Kb on a D850MVSE motherboard with AA number of AA A69215-302?

The processor I am currently using is an Intel P4 rated at 1.8GHz 400MHz 256Kb.

Both prcessors are 13micron.

Would like to speed the old board up a little.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

A P4 2.6 is as high as you can Go. The board does not support anything higher , I would say It's Time for a new Build . END OF LIFE according to Intel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Are there any comments offered regarding the 512Kb vs the 256Kb which I am currently using. Actually the question is can I replace the 356Kb processor with one rated 512Kb with out harm?

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

If you are refering to the Cashe No Higher is better.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is the cache rating a function of the processor chip or the mobo?

What would happen if I installed the 2.8? Would it just run at 2.6 or would it screw something up?

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

When Intel says a board is rated for a certin CPU , it's normaily for serval reasons , Like the Watts the CPU draws , and what the chipset level can handle . What I mean is if your board is rated for a 95 watt CPU and you install a 130 watt CPU , It either will not post or make smoke . Do you want to chance. Unless you know all the specs of Both CPUs and they the same except for the rated speed , I would stick to the rated and tested specs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bob,

I want to thank you for your time and willingness to share information. You have been a big help in helping me sort out some things I needed to deal with. Back to your original post, it is time for a rebuild and I am probably moving in that direction but in the mean time I want to keep old betsy running in the best shape I can for as long as I can.

Again, thanks.

Docster

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Your Welcome , If you are going to do a new build my best advice is to Plain ahead and cherry pick the components carefuly , This stuff is changing so fast that if you plain to build a 775 sys the parts may not be available , If you are going to build a Icore 7 sys you realy need to pick your parts with a great deal of thought. I just finished what will be my last 775 build . That Intel Said could not be done. It's a DX48BT2 , with a XEON X3380 , and 8 gigs . Intel said it would not work , But i am using it to send you this post. So listen to the experts But make your own choices.

0 Kudos