Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

DDR5 advising for i5 13600kf

Orion
Beginner
Hi Intel Team,

I just bought an i5 13600kf.
The motherboard bought to go with it is an Asus Rog strix z790-h gaming.
Link here :
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z790-h-gaming-wifi-model/

It can manage DDR5 up to 7800MT/s.

I know that from stock, the 13600kf is compatible with DDR5 up to 5600MT/s.

I have read that motherboard specs are more important than processor stock announced frequency but i wanna be sure so that's why i am asking you this question :
May i use an higher frequency than 5600MT/s with this config using an XMP profile ?

I have everything needed regarding the cooling system of course.

If so, i am hesitating to buy some g.skill trident Z 6600MT/s cl 34 or some Kingston Fury Renegade 6400MT/s cl32.

What is your advice ?

Thanks for your help guys.

Have a nice day
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Orion, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

In reference to your inquiry, we cannot determine if it is a high-risk, medium-risk, or kind of safe one, that is a topic we cannot specify/guess on in order not to give false expectations. Also, every computer is different and they have different parts, they cannot be compared in this scenario. 

What we can guarantee is that by using your components under specifications you can make sure you will not have any problems with your machine or with the accessories in your platform.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Orion, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, it is important to mention that since the memory controller is located in the processor itself, that part will be the one that determines which kind of memory RAM to use, even if the board is capable of supporting different specifications.

For the Intel® Core™ i5-13600KF processor, the memory RAM supported is Up to DDR5 5600 MT/s / Up to DDR4 3200 MT/s, as you can confirm in the link below. You have the option to use any XMP profile as long as it is within the specifications:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/230494/intel-core-i513600kf-processor-24m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz.html

When using memory RAM that is not within the specifications the computer will work, but sooner or later it might show inconsistencies since you are forcing the processor to run at speeds it does not support and it might cause hardware problems, so it is not recommneded.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Orion
Beginner
Hi Albert,

Thanks a lot for your time answering my questions.
I understand that overclocking is at my own risk.
But for you, is a +800MT/s higher than original specs something that would straightly put in danger my hardware ? I have seen people using 7000+MT/s with this processor, probably with high level watercooling behind i guess. I just wanted to know if a 6400/6600 is a useless high risk, medium risk or kinda safe one.
Thanks a lot onnce again for your help and advice.
Have a nice day !
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Orion, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

In reference to your inquiry, we cannot determine if it is a high-risk, medium-risk, or kind of safe one, that is a topic we cannot specify/guess on in order not to give false expectations. Also, every computer is different and they have different parts, they cannot be compared in this scenario. 

What we can guarantee is that by using your components under specifications you can make sure you will not have any problems with your machine or with the accessories in your platform.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos