Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14510 Discussions

Data wanted on Xeon 8167M

drkirkby
Beginner
I had an Intel Xeon Silver 4110 in a Dell 7920 tower workstation. I recently swapped the CPU for an Intel Xeon 8167M Platinum.

I run the Passmark benchmark on both CPUs. As you can see, the 8167M is much faster (25627 vs 10590) on multi threaded code is the 4110, but significantly slower (1453 vs 1789) on single threaded task. I know that the clock speed of the 8167M is 5% slower than the 4110, but I was surprised just how slow it is.

Anyway, can I get some more information on the 8167? I can not see it on the Intel website.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
IntelSupport

Hello drkirkby, 

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

Since the Product Specifications for Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8167M Processor are not publicly available at ark.intel.com, please allow me to review your request.

I will update this thread soon.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
drkirkby
Beginner
Did you manage to find any data on the Xeon Platinum 8167M?
0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello drkirkby, 

I would like to update this thread.

Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8167M Processor is a confidential SKU. For this reason, it is not publicly listed on ARK. Unfortunately, Intel Customer Support cannot provide any information on confidential SKUs.

Our recommendation is that you contact your Place of Purchase (POP) if you purchased the processor separately or the system vendor if it came pre-installed.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
drkirkby
Beginner
Thank you. I appreciate your comments about information being confidential. Is it legal to own one of these? I am aware that some confidential CPUs remain Intel property, and should not be sold. There are no markings to indicate that this is the case with this particular CPU.

I purchased it used on eBay for £300, which is about $420
USD.

It is happily running with all 26 cores hunting for a 100 million digit prime number,. It should take about 90 days and has a chance of success of about 1 in 800,000.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello drkirkby, 

Thank you for your response.

When using these processors, technical support would not be available if your system experiences any processor-related issues. In this scenario, we can only recommend purchasing Intel products through Intel® Authorized Distributors, Suppliers, or Resellers.

How do I Contact an Intel® Authorized Distributor, Supplier, or Reseller?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000015067/programs.html

I hope you find this information helpful.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello drkirkby, 

Hopefully, you were able to obtain additional support from the Place of Purchase.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
drkirkby
Beginner
The CPU was purchased from eBay, so not much chance of support. It seems to work fine. The single threaded performance is not that great, but one gets a lot of cores for the money.
0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello drkirkby, 

We are glad to know that the processor is working fine.

Since you were not able to obtain product specifications from the Place of Purchase, we can only recommend purchasing Intel® products through approved suppliers.

Best regards,

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
drkirkby
Beginner
Thank you for the advice. The only problem is that any of the Intel Platinum Xeons, if purchased from an official Intel source, would cost more than 10x what I paid for the CPU!
0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello drkirkby, 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. 

Your feedback is highly appreciated.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos