Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

Dell Laptops / Windows 7 Ultimate

BSelf
Novice

Just an FYI, Dell does not support 7 on these units. I currently have 3 laptops, 2 XPS and 1 Precision M6300 which is where my question lies. The precision unit with the t9300 processor has a Windows processor index of only 3.0 and is much slower than the 2 older XPS unit (5.4). Can someone give me an answer to this. I have a PDF file I have created with all the info, but find no way to attach it with this post.

Thanks,

Bob

14 Replies
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

I have a Older HP DV9000, I Installed Windows & 64 bit On , After instlation I had to go in device manager and go to CPU Scan for changes , than let it auto secrch for new driver for CPU . it installed new driver ,Now everything is fine good performance.

0 Kudos
BSelf
Novice

I tried that and it states the best driver is already installed, I will check Intel's site again for another driver.

Bob

idata
Employee

You might try downloading and running the Processor ID Utility. and than see if Windows 7 picks up on the info.for your CPU. Ver, 4.3

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I ran the Processor ID Utility and also reverted back to the 9.1.1.1015 instead of 9.1.1.1025 chipset device software and now it is sitting @ 5.5 for the processor. The system is still slower than I had expected so I am going to up it to the 64bit OS and see how much that will affect it. Thank you all for your time and effort in helping me resolve this issue.

Thanks Again,

Bob

0 Kudos
BSelf
Novice

Just a quick note to say with the Processor ID Utility and reverting back to 9.1.1.1015 chipset device software the processor is now reading 5.5 from 3.0. Just want to say thanks to all of you for your time and effort.

Thanks,

Bob

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

If you go with the 64 bit OS thats great than you can Max out the Ram 32 bit can only see 3.3 gb RAM . If your board allows you to use 4GB or 8GB , I would Max it out. Just rember to check the board specs. Merry XMas.

0 Kudos
BSelf
Novice

I really think the 64 bit O/S will help also. It currently has 4 gig but can be upper to 8, but as you know with only 2 slots, you toss out the 2gig and install 4 gig which leaves your 2 gig in the drawer.

Thanks Again,

Bob

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Yea but I'd rather have 8GB in my machine and 4 in the draw. LOL. It's worth it.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Just Be carful about what you buy as far as matching Volts and Frq. and use only whats on the approved list,.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

I have a older HP DV9000. and the bigest improvement I did was to install a SSD. You can have all the Ram in the world and the fastest CPU but if you are still using a rotating HD you are beating your head against a wall. Think about the SSD before you do the install of W7 Ult.

0 Kudos
BSelf
Novice

It's funny you bring that up. I actually have a 250 gig WD SSD drive I was planning to install, just wanted to insure the current was up to snuff. Thanks again and have a great Holiday Season, just Be Safe.

Bob

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Yea it's a good idea to use the ssd , My old HP is SATA 1.5 , and it still made run like it had a quad core. Sowith your set up you will realy notice a big improvement.

0 Kudos
BSelf
Novice

Final Disposition:

Okay, after many hours and days of trying this and trying that, Dell agreed to replace the MB and memory... Guess what; all is great with a Windows 7 experience of 7.1. What the issue was "Who knows", but I am greatful all is where it should be.

Thanks to all for you support and guidance.

Bob

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi guys,

Smith says about www.plrprivatelabelrights.com Both organizations fear the right could be at risk due to budgetary pressures at the Department of Culture, Media and Sport. According to the ALCS, if the fund is cut by 3% next year, it will mean that in real terms PLR funding will have fallen by more than 10% over the past three years. The SoA said PLR "gives effect to a legal right and is not a subsidy".

======================

http://www.plrprivatelabelrights.com/plr-articles www.plrprivatelabelrights.com

0 Kudos