Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Dell XPS 9560 power throtteling

reyntjensm
Beginner

My Dell XPS9560 never preformed good. I replaced the heatsink and cleaned the inside. System is running a lot cooler now. But it still doesn't preform as it should be. The power throttling kicks in almost instant as soon as i run a decent task. I have already tried to tweak some settings in XTU software but it doesn't do anything. Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

reyntjensm, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, just to let you know, the Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Procesor as you can confirm in the link below in the list of Intel® Processors supported, is not fully compatible with the Intel® XTU tool, so, in this case, you will be able to install the application but it will be basically to monitor the temperature of the unit in real-time to make sure it is not getting overheated:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29183/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Since you are using a laptop, from our side, to rule out a possible hardware problem with the Intel® Processor, what we suggest will be to install the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool, it does an overall test on the unit and if it passed the test it means it is working properly:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

If the Intel® Processor passes the test it indicates then that the problem is related to a different component and if it does not pass the test, it means there is a hardware problem with the Intel® Processor itself.

At this point, what we recommend will be to get in contact directly with Dell, to verify if there is a BIOS update available for installation, if the optimal BIOS settings are being used, to check if they have their own software or tool to examine the health of the Intel® Processor or to modify its performance, and if necessary for a physical inspection of your platform or for warranty purposes. If the problem is related to the Intel® Processor or to another component in the laptop, still they are the ones that provide all the warranty options for their system so the best thing to do will be to contact them directly for further assistance on this matter:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
reyntjensm
Beginner

Dear Albert,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not tuning settings with the XTU software, it's only to view the parameter like power throttling.

I just ran the processor diagnostics test and it passed everything. Although in the mean time i was watching the parameters in XTU software and the processor was throttling on power and on current/EDP. So what should i conclude out of these measurements? Throttling is normal behavior for this system? The max power for my processor is 45W right?

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi reyntjensm, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the Intel® Processor passed the test because it indicates that the unit does not have a hardware problem and it is working properly.

"The max power for my processor is 45W right?", that is correct, in the following link you will be able to confirm the specifications of the Intel® Processor:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97185/intel-core-i7-7700hq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-80-ghz.html

Regarding the conclusions, for your information, the Intel® Processors have two modes of thermal protection: throttling, and automatic shutdown. When a core exceeds the set throttle temperature, it will start to reduce power to bring the temperature back below that point. The throttle temperature can vary by processor and BIOS settings.

If the conditions are such that throttling is unable to keep the temperature down, such as a thermal solution failure or incorrect assembly, the processor will automatically shut down to prevent permanent damage.

So, in this situation, what we recommend will be to get in contact directly with Dell basically because they assemble the computer, they will be able to confirm if the cooling solution/fan is working properly, the make sure the BIOS settings are the proper ones, if there are updates available for installation to verify the case/chassis of the laptop and if it is properly integrated. Dell will be the only one that will be able to reinforce those details and that is why we suggest that to contact them will be the next thing to do.

In the link below you will also find further details about this topic:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005597/processors.html

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
reyntjensm
Beginner

Dear Albert,

I'm trying to get in touch with Dell, but they don't do a lot of effort to help people with a product out of warranty? Very bad support...

So you explained me the two possible ways to limit the temperature of the CPU.

In my case power throttling also happens when the system is cold (just at start up). So it's throttling the power to max 45W. So i'm wondering why the CPU takes 45W even at power up? Temperature has nothing to do with this....

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

reyntjensm, Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

Just to let you know, the TDP of 45W is not the maximum value that the Intel® Processor or the system can reach, that was the measure that Intel® got after testing the Intel® Processor with as many components as possible, but that number could go higher than that depending on the components inside the laptop, the structure, and design of it but it is not an indicator that the computer is getting overheated or that is performing poorly.

The TDP value will depend on all the elements being used, they can be: board, Processor, PCIe devices, Memory RAM, Graphics card, m.2 devices, and any other part inside the laptop, that is why we recommend to check with Dell directly about all those details since they basically build the computer and they are the ones that know which components are included in their laptop.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos