Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

Diagnostic Tool IPDT 64-bit - locks up

OHalk
Beginner

Hello:

I am unable to get through the Math portion of diagnostics, up to that point it is all Pass & green. Part ways into Math the tool locks up, mouse freezes, the computer crashes to a typical Windows 10 screen with WHEA Uncorrectable Error, then I need to reset the PC.

This is not the only issue, there was an annoying boot to black screen which I think I've resolved by reloading every driver but now the issue points to the CPU or maybe the video card, it started out like this:

• Windows 10 Home (latest patches to date) boots to a black screen
    • GTX 1070 video vis DP connection
    • sometimes rebooting will fix, sometimes unplugging the cable, wait a few moments, plug in to any of the 3 DP slots works, screen is at Desktop
  • Safe mode troubleshooting, look for errors etc no effect
  • BIOS updated/downgraded no effect
  • nVidia drivers rolled back then to latest no effect
  • reinstalled BENQ drivers no effect
  • FurMark run for a few hours no issue with GPU, temp 72C
  • intermittent WHEA Uncorrectable Error when playing a game on Steam
  • ALL drivers reloaded may have resolved I think the boot to black screen, it now boots normally to desktop after shutting down or pressing Reset
  • running IPDT64-bit gets me to Math then locks up, reset back to desktop.
  • swapped memory slots no effect
  • no dust, dirt, clogging fans/filters but CPU runs a bit hot with water cooling 44C
  • everything else seems to be OK
  • umpteen Windows 10 checks; chksk, sfc scannow, dism rebuild, mbr fixboot,
  • Event Viewer only has this Distributed COM error
  • The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

• Windows.SecurityCenter.WscDataProtection and APPID Unavailable to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

At a bit of a loss here, I don't have anything else to test for.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OHalk
Beginner

Hello Intel, folks:

I have some GOOD news to add to this issue, it did appear to be a hardware fault but not in the way you would expect it.

AFTER swapping out the i7 4970k's between PC1 and PC1 (yes I have 2 virtually identical PC's except for the video cards, PC1 = GTX1070, PC2=GTX970) CPU1 had passed Green in PC2 and CPU2 passed in PC1, no issues so far. I haven't stressed CPU2/PC1 yet to see if WHEA appears but so far so good.

Summary:

• Previously failed CPU1 works in PC2
  • Previously passed CPU2 also passed in PC1

Conclusion: It appears that removing both CPUs from their sockets and swapping fixed the issue, connector/contact problem? Is this even a thing, it's a very strange unexpected fix.

I'll stress both CPUs out later and report back here.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello grakky: Thank you for joining the Intel® communities support.

Perfect, thank you very much for letting us know that information and for sharing those results, it is great to hear the PC seems to be working fine now and yes, probably the processor was loose or there was a connector problem.

No problem at all, take your time, once you get the chance please let us know the results.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos