Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

Difference between PGA-989 and rPGA-989 chip sockets?

EFruh
Beginner

I'm hoping somebody can help me out with the simplist answer possible. I've read various other forums, and I don't think they've provided the answer I'm after. Then again, I don't know because that was all techy speak.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is swap a processor chip from one laptop to another. In one corner, I have an ASUS K53SV that I picked up. It's not working, and I'm pretty sure that it's the chip that's gone belly up: all the lights come on when plugged in, but as soon as I hit the power button it basically shorts out. Then all the lights come back on, I hit the power again and the same thing happens. It just doesn't turn on. Because of this, I don't know what the processor is, but according to spec sheets it's either a i7-2630QM, i5-2410M, or i3-2310M. Chances are it's an i5, but I just don't know. I opened it up found that the chip socket is a PGA-989.

In the other corner sits a fully functioning Samsung RV511 with a definite i3-380M chip. I've opened this one up and it has a rPGA-989 socket.

The ASUS chip is 2nd Gen, according to what I've found, with an "Intel HM65 Express Chipset". I'm pretty sure the Samsung is a 2nd Gen as well, and I couldn't find a chipset.

What I want to know is 1) the difference between the two, and 2) can I swap the processors? Essentially, I want to breifly swap the processors to see if it's the processor of the ASUS that's died, or if it's a deeper problem. I'm trying to eliminate possible problems. If it turns out to be the processor, can this swap be long term or will it screw things up?

Hopefully I've provided enough information. Any and all answers are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello Fruitwall,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

In this case, your best contact support is with your computer manufacturer as they are more familiar with your system and how all the components interact with each other.

The needs to be compatible with the BIOS as well, I'm sorry the compatibility processor list if there is any needs to be found at the manufacturer website.

You should find better response at your questions here:

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/K53SV/ https://www.asus.com/Laptops/K53SV/

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos