https://pastebin.com/xyiSYPsu

Ahmedx332_0-1608391968277.png

here is my laptop information 
ty for help in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your processor is not supported by XTU.  You have 3rd gen M processor.  XTU supports X and K processors.

If you are trying to undervolt your processor, that is a security risk and has been disabled.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Thermal Throttling is a core safety measure built into every Intel processor to protect it from runaway temperatures. As such, it is nonmaskable. That is, it cannot be disabled.

...S

0 Kudos
dj_intl
Beginner

While I realize it would be a bad idea to disable thermal throttling... I'd like to understand if it can be tuned.  To only throttle when temp gets above a certain threshold and stays throttled until it cools back down.  A Thermostat effect.  My observations are that thermal throttling is limiting the CPU to .79 or .8 GHz all the time... right when I boot up and ongoing.  But temp (monitoring with XTU) is only 41C... and as I watch the CPU on a second screen... and use my computer all day, it stays at ~.8 GHz even when I'm running many programs and windows (and in fact experiencing slowness).  It never speeds up regardless of temp.  Suggestions?  I keep the laptop on an elevated aluminum stand, getting good ventilation and cooling all day.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No! What you are talking about is *NOT* thermal throttling. Thermal throttling occurs *only* when a DTS temperature reaches the processor's Maximum Junction Temperature (Tjmax, which is in the vicinity of 100c). [Aside: note also that the Tjmax temperature is the highest temperature that the DTS (Digital Thermal Sensors) in each core (and in uncore, etc.) can represent. If the temperature goes higher, you continue to see the Tjmax temperature value).]

There are two other considerations for throttling. The first is a PROCHOT signal from some other device, typically the Voltage Regulator Module (VRM), on the motherboard. This one is maskable I believe, but I do not remember off the top of my head how you do so (I leave this as an investigation for you). The second is the processor being throttled because it is drawing too much current. This is used in mobile and embedded systems to extend battery life (prioritizing battery life over performance).

Honestly, the best thing you can do is download a copy of the ThrottleStop program and see what it says regarding source. You can download it from here: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop. There is a introduction to it here: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/31385-the-throttlestop-guide

Hope this helps,

...S

dj_intl
Beginner

Thanks Scott!  I really appreciate your feedback and being active in the community helping people.

I took your advice, downloaded ThrottleStop.  After launching, I found the BD PROCHOT was checked by default (first time launching it).  I left XTU open... and I unchecked that box in ThrottleSpop.  Instantly the Max Core Frequency jumped from .8 to ~3.5 GHz.  Awesome.  But also noticed, that within XTU this changed the Thermal Throttling from Yes (and Red Text) to No (blue text).

So I'm pleased to have a solution to my Throttle problem, but still curious to understand why my original premise was wrong (you seem adamant)... if this setting toggles the Thermal Throttling on/off and at the same time Core Frequency toggles from .8 to 3.5... I seem to have a strong correlation supporting my original theory.

Mostly I just want to understand so I can make sure that I don't put my computer as risk of overheating while enjoying 3.5GHz performance with ThrottleStop set to BD PROCHOT unchecked.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I didn't follow.  BD PROCHOT is the signal from other components on the motherboard. If masking this stops the throttling, then you know that this signal is being asserted.

...S

0 Kudos