Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

Do I need new microcode update or not?

imaref
Beginner

I read through the list on Microsoft and Intel and can't figure out if I need an Intel microcode update or not. My processor is:

i7-9750h

6 cores, 12 threads

CPUID 906EA

Coffee Lake

If someone could tell me IF I need a microcode update, and which one I would be very grateful.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @imaref

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Could you please elaborate more regarding this request so we can better assist you?

Is there any particular reason why you want to know if a microcode update is required? Are you experiencing any problems with your system or processor? For instance: performance, crashes, Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors, etc.

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox. 

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
imaref
Beginner

There were security microcode updates released in the following microsoft KB article, and I can't figure out if I need to install them for my processor or not. Here is the KB article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4589212/intel-microcode-updates

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you are running Windows 10, then the latest microcode will be installed (if necessary) during the boot process. Since the BIOS also provides microcode updates, if you have had a BIOS upgrade since you saw this notice, you may be having the latest installed by the BIOS before Windows 10 ever starts booting.

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello imaref

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @imaref

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now.

Before that, we would like just to confirm that the information provided by n_scott_pearson is correct.

We’ve provided more information on our Security First website and continue to encourage everyone to keep their systems up to date, as it's one of the best ways to stay protected.

Microarchitectural Data Sampling (MDS) is already addressed at the hardware level in many of our recent 8th and 9th Generation Intel® Core™ processors, as well as the 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processor Family.

The recommendation is to check with your system manufacturer (OEM) and system software vendors for more information regarding your system and to determine if any updates are needed and apply them as soon as practical. Links to OEM sites are provided on the Security First website.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos