Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

Do intel chipsets have thermal protection technology(like they have thermal throttling on CPUs)? Are hm175(spec code-SR30W) and i5 7300hq compatible?

Anonymous
Not applicable

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That is entirely possible; there is a lot of crossover. What I did was look at the ARK entry for this processor and clicked on the entry for the (not-so-former) family code name. This displayed a list of the processors and chipsets associated with this family. It lists the 27x chipsets, not the 17x.

It takes a heck of a failure in the laptop's cooling system for *any* part, let alone the one likely has the highest tolerance for high temperatures, to have been smoked because of temperature. It is far more likely that a power spike hit some components (note: this can be caused by other components failing). I hope that this occurred within your warranty period and that Lenovo is replacing this motherboard. Attempting to replace this IC yourself is not a good idea; the damage you see is unlikely to be isolated to just this component.

...S

View solution in original post

4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The HM175 chipset is part of the Skylake family - which means it supports 6th gen Core processors. The Core i5-​7300hq is a Kaby Lake family processor, which means it requires a HM270 chipset.

T​he chipsets (PCH components) do indeed have protection, but this is rarely needed as the Tjmax (Maximum Junction Temperature) for these components is very high, typically higher than thep8 processors that they are combined with.

H​ope this helps,

...S

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for answering.

But I am still confused.

Actually chipset of my laptop(lenovo Y520) motherboard smoked. I opened it up and the numbers written on the chipset are -->

V715A814

H5945701EHD

SR30W

( SR30W happens to be the spec code of hm175 chipset, I saw it on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets and https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/98085/mobile-intel-hm175-chipset.html)

And I do not know what other numbers mean.

If spec code is unique then chipset sitting on my motherboard should be hm175 and I am sure that processor is i5 7300hq.

This official intel page says that hm175 and qm175 support 6th and 7th gen Intel core processors :

https://www.intel.in/content/www/in/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/hm175-qm175-chipset-brief.html

Thank you

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That is entirely possible; there is a lot of crossover. What I did was look at the ARK entry for this processor and clicked on the entry for the (not-so-former) family code name. This displayed a list of the processors and chipsets associated with this family. It lists the 27x chipsets, not the 17x.

It takes a heck of a failure in the laptop's cooling system for *any* part, let alone the one likely has the highest tolerance for high temperatures, to have been smoked because of temperature. It is far more likely that a power spike hit some components (note: this can be caused by other components failing). I hope that this occurred within your warranty period and that Lenovo is replacing this motherboard. Attempting to replace this IC yourself is not a good idea; the damage you see is unlikely to be isolated to just this component.

...S

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot, for clearing the confusion.

Unfortunately, this all happened just within 10 days after warranty ended.

And thanks for advice...

0 Kudos