Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14511 Discussions

Do new Intel CPUs ever have pressure/TIM marks from factory testing?

TTorl
Beginner

I received a brand new and sealed i7-7700k processor today and there are pressure marks on the IHS that look like a heatsink was attached.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Could this happen as a result of factory testing? It's still unopened by the way.

Thanks,

TT.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

TTorler, Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Processors communities and for providing that picture.

In regard to your inquiry, yes, it looks like a heatsink was previously attached to the processor and actually that is not normal, the processor should be brand new and there is no reason why it should have thermal paste on it specially if it is still unopened, it is not a result of factory testing. Based on that, the best thing to do will be to get in contact with the place of purchase to find out if they can send you another brand new unit, make sure the factory seal on the box is not altered or broken.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

TTorler, Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Processors communities and for providing that picture.

In regard to your inquiry, yes, it looks like a heatsink was previously attached to the processor and actually that is not normal, the processor should be brand new and there is no reason why it should have thermal paste on it specially if it is still unopened, it is not a result of factory testing. Based on that, the best thing to do will be to get in contact with the place of purchase to find out if they can send you another brand new unit, make sure the factory seal on the box is not altered or broken.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos