Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

Does 25 mg of L3 Cache Make a Big Difference over 15 mg?

JCris2
Beginner

Trying to upgrade my Asus Z9PA-D8 motherboard with either Dual Xeon 2687W V2 ES QE83 3.4Ghz 6 Core 15MB or Dual E5-2667 V2 CPU with 8 core and 25 mg of cache.

Both turbo at 4.0 and the and their clock speed is only a 0.1 difference.

On the used market the 2687W V2 ES is 1/2 the price as the 2667.

But what's odd is the 2687W is only 6 cores not 8 where I can't seem to find the specs on the 6 core anyware to make a clear decision.

So it's it's just the cores that the difference, then I was wondering what about the cache? Does the 25 mg of cache make a lot of difference?

I'll be using it for both audio video editing using Adobe Premiere and AE.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello JamieSEA,

Thank you joining the Processors community.

I understand that you inquiry is regarding the MB of cache, and in this case the difference between these two parameters(25 MB and 15 MB) is not that perceptible, there should be an improvement but is possible that it cannot be detectable. Now regarding the processors in question you can find the official specs here: http://ark.intel.com/compare/75273,76161 Intel® Product Specification Comparison, there you will also find the main differences between these two. Notice that in fact both processors have 8 cores and 25 MB of cache, so this should help you to make the decision easier. Additionally, I would recommend getting in contact with Adobe support, they should be able to provide a more accurate answer regarding which of these models is the best to work with their specific tool.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/116445 JamieSEA, hope the information posted above helped you.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos