Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

Does CPU Speed Go Up Automatically?

jimlau
Beginner

I have the i7 11700k CPU. Base frequency is 3.6GHz. Does the CPU automatically increase that towards 5GHz when the load goes up, or do I have to OC it to get that speed?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Your processor has a max Turbo Boost frequency of 5GHz. As conditions (temperatures, num cores busy, etc.) allow, the core clocks will be boosted to levels beyond your base clock speed. Whether you actually achieve the full 5GHz is dependent upon the number of cores active and how the feature has been configured in the BIOS. It can also be limited by power utilization, which is also controlled by the BIOS.
There are lots of articles, both on and separate from Intel's web site (try Wikipedia) that go into depth on how the Turbo Boost feature works.
Hope this gets you started,
...S
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @jimlau 

Your processor supports Intel Turbo Boost Technology. This future will automatically increase the processor performance (work frequency) for peak demands. All this without exceeding the thermal limits.  You may disable or enable Intel Turbo Boost Technology in BIOS settings. No need to install any software. More information in Overview Information for Intel® Turbo Boost Technology.

Leon

jimlau
Beginner

Thanks.  So why would some choose to OC this processor if it responds and maxes out automatically? Or does OC go above that?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Overclockers are actually modifying (increasing) the base clock speed (which is static for Turbo Boost), playing with voltages, etc., all in an attempt to get more out of the processor. It's really not worth it these days.

...S

0 Kudos