Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

Does Core i3-4160 Processor Support ECC Memory?

SQuim
Beginner

Hello,

Does the Core i3-4160 processor support ECC memory? ARK says that it does, but when I look at the datasheet I don't see any ECC ram listed.

I know this was answered and updated for another of the i3 processors, but because of that I'm doubting the information in ARK for the i3-4160.

Can someone please confirm?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Esteban_V_Intel
Employee

It does support ECC memory. ECC Memory Supported indicates processor support for Error-Correcting Code memory. ECC memory is a type of system memory that can detect and correct common kinds of internal data corruption. Note that ECC memory support requires both processor and chipset support.

Regards,

Steven V.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GKlug1
New Contributor I

Hello Quimper,

this is a good question and the other thread is not 100% correct in this thing. The Core i3/i5/i7 series CPUs have the same memory controller like the xeon ones. So the cpu do could wok with ecc memory But while ecc memory is an premium server feature that dont should be licensed / activated in desktop chipsets / desktop boards, you cant use ecc memory with your Core i3-4160 (on the boards i know).

But , technically (or theoretically) its possible ;-) ... you just won´t get support for it.

0 Kudos
SQuim
Beginner

If I understand your answer correctly, then you are saying that the technology is available in the chip, but is not "activated".

That means that the information for the i3-4160 in ARK is incorrect?

0 Kudos
GKlug1
New Contributor I

Hello Quimper,

Intel ARK is correct with saying that it does suppor ECC memory. The memory Controller fom this CPUs are integratet in the CPU so its an CPU feature. So i dont think its "deactivated" hardly.

BUT you need more than the CPU and the ECC memory to get a system working with ECC memory. I cant proof this information 100%, its just what i observer in my daily work ... for me its seems the board vendeor has to activate ecc support in BIOS / Firmware. And it theems like that the most vendors wont, maybe in case of a license or anything else.

In short: Intel ARK is technically correct, the featurei s inside

BUT: you may have some trouble to use/ "activate" this feature ;-)

0 Kudos
SYu14
New Contributor I

You know that is a very good question.. I never had to deal with anything with ECC memory before the worst I seen is you get a bluescreen when you are trying to access memory that goes bad.

So this got me looking and doing some research and apparently it is most likely Yes, i3 desktop processors support ECC memory.

A quick look at Wikipedia, shows that i3 Sandy bridge desktop CPU started to support ECC memory. None of the i5 or i7 support ECC memory. Looks like some Celeron and Pentiums support ECC memory also

In order for my post not to get moderated by posting to many links I decided to go to newegg and look at the server motherboards. Looking at the Supermicro boards, the ones that support ECC memory only list that only Xeon processors, Pentium, Celeron, and i3 processors. The motherboards that have i7 and i5 listed as supported CPU are both ECC and non ECC memory supported motherboards. Supermicro makes mostly server motherboards so I went with them to check.

Example of motherboards with ONLY ECC memory support. The i3 processor is listed : http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SLH-F.cfm Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SLH-F

If you look at the older LGA 1155 Supermicro board that supports ECC memory only: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C202_C204/X9SCM.cfm Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9SCM it shows on the bottom i5 and i7 not supported only i3 desktops which has ECC memory support.

Motherboard that supports all the processors but ACCEPTS NON ECC memory http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SAE.cfm Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SAE

Do you have a motherboard that supports ECC memory or knows what to do with ECC memory?

0 Kudos
SQuim
Beginner

Hi Simon,

Thank you for the response.

I did see that information on the Wikipedia webpage and most of what I've read does lead me to believe the i3-4160 will support ECC memory, but confirming that information has been difficult. I am particularly skeptical since the ARK information for i3 processors supporting ECC has been wrong in the past.

I'm asking because I have built a NAS that will store data and reliability is quite important to me for this server. If the i3 doesn't support ECC then I will have to purchase a Xeon processor.

The motherboard I have is a Supermicro motherboard (model X10SLM+-F) and it does support ECC. The RAM I have installed in the server also supports ECC. Trying to confirm that the i3-4160 memory controller also supports and uses ECC memory has been a little more difficult.

0 Kudos
Esteban_V_Intel
Employee

It does support ECC memory. ECC Memory Supported indicates processor support for Error-Correcting Code memory. ECC memory is a type of system memory that can detect and correct common kinds of internal data corruption. Note that ECC memory support requires both processor and chipset support.

Regards,

Steven V.

0 Kudos