Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14526 Discussions

Does anyone have any idea when boxed i5 processors are going to be readily available from distributors again?

JRobb7
Beginner

I build systems for my clients, and if I get an order for more than 2 or 3 computers, I'm screwed. Does Intel even care? They seem to be selling them to Dell, Lenovo, and HP! It's been over a year now that processors have been "highly constrained". I usually end up having to buy processors retail (Newegg, MicroCenter, etc.) just to fill orders.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

There have been ten generations of the i5. Which gen are you talking about?

Doc

0 Kudos
JRobb7
Beginner

I don't use old processors for my builds, and the 10th gen, as of right now, is not a desktop processor. I'm talking about the 9400, 9500, 9600, and previously the 8th gens were very low availability as well. The 9400F has always been available, but you have to buy a video card for that. The 9600K is occasionally available, but I've always used the mainstream i5 with graphics for my builds. Synnex, Techdata, and Ingram Micro never have them in stock.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, so we are talking about the i5-9xxx.

Intel Customer Support cannot answer this question. Processors are distributed through channels. Once they leave Intel, there is no control over where they go.

I would imagine the big OEMs are responsible for this consumer shortage.

Doc

0 Kudos
JRobb7
Beginner

I suppose so. Why would my distributors sells 10 to me, when they can sell 10,000 to someone else....

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Al is correct; there is no one here who can answer this question for you. For information regarding product availability, you would be better served by contacting one of the Intel Authorized Distributors and Approved Suppliers.

...S

0 Kudos
JRobb7
Beginner

Sales reps are generally useless on this subject, and have been from the beginning. Just need to wait this out. Or start building computers with... other.... processors.

0 Kudos