Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Does clearing the IA32_MTRR_DEF_TYPE.E flag disable the System-Management Range Registers?

HadiBrais
New Contributor III

The Software Developer's Manual Volume 3 (Order Number: 325384-072US) states in Section 11.11.2.1 that the E flag (bit 11) of the IA32_MTRR_DEF_TYPE MSR register can be used to enable or disable all MTRRs. It's clear that this flag, when set to zero, disables all variable-range and fixed-range MTRRs.

Section 11.11.2.4 discusses another set of MTRRs called the system-management range registers (SMRR). I couldn't find a clear statement in the manual regarding whether the flag IA32_MTRR_DEF_TYPE[11] disables the SMRR, in addition to the variable-range and fixed-range MTRRs. Are there any MTRRs that are not disabled by clearing IA32_MTRR_DEF_TYPE[11]? Is the answer dependent on the processor?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is not a question to be answered here. You should ask it in the Intel Developer Zone forum.

...S

0 Kudos
HadiBrais
New Contributor III

Well, none of the forums there seem to be more suitable for my question.

The question is really about Intel processors, so I think it's at least somewhat suitable here.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, this is not the site for questions related to registers and programming. That's specifically what the Developer Zone is for.

...S

0 Kudos