Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Does embedded graphics in processor initiate automatically? i9-11900K

cemm
New Contributor I

I took the GPU card off from the motherboard. So theoretically CPU's graphic should kick in, right?

And what it means, if the motherboard still gives the GPU card error in such a setup?

Even though the GPU error is constant, the BIOS boots up but without any graphics, 

would the PSU be the cause of that?

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If the BIOS had been configured to control the iGFX automatically (using AUTO setting), then yes, removing the add-in graphics card should result in the iGFX engine being enabled.

If this parameter had been set to any setting other than AUTO or ALWAYS-ON, however, this won't happen automatically. In this case, you may have to restore the add-in graphics card temporarily (long enough to reconfigure BIOS). The alternative is to reset the BIOS configuration, but this loses all other changes to the configuration that you might have made.

Hope this helps,

...S

cemm
New Contributor I

Hi,

I did reset the BIOS but I still got the  GPU error. Would a PSU supply enough current so that the post and everything else initiate, but fails to support the Graphics? 

Or would this be indicating a motherboard failure?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Your power requirements would have gone down *significantly* when you removed the add-in graphics card. The operation of the iGFX engine is within the TDP of your processor, so power up should not be an issue (presuming nothing wrong with the processor). I would restore the add-in card and check the BIOS Configuration parameters for the iGFX. The defaults may not be what you actually want (note: I have *never* see this be the case, but still worth checking). Other than this, yes, you may be looking at a mobo issue. Are you sure that the BIOS has full support for your particular processor? If it doesn't, it may not fully initialize the processor features. Have you checked for a BIOS update as the mobo vendor's site?

...S

0 Kudos
cemm
New Contributor I
I don't have any compatibility issues as l received blessings from each of the component's respected companies privately. I have an Asus Maximus xiii hero z590, my Ram is Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz 128 Gb 4x32Gb

I can't post, so l reset the BIOS instead, for iGPU to kick in. I have the latest BIOS

I am in between the new Motherboard and older PSU. The system despite the GPU error, did boot previously and l did monitor both CPU and Rams with the appropriate application and everything looked good. 

And because l had a problem with the previous build (after 10 years), and the only remaining device from that build is the Corsair AX1200i PSU, I have a reserved suspicion for the PSU. 

Yet the PSU seems alright when the system is working but the PSU is a 9 years old (a great) PSU and the Asus error code indicates GPU error due to I believe, insufficient power or something (Q code: p4).

So, that's why I'm in between the two suspects. 

cheers

0 Kudos