Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

Does the i7-8565U as installed in HP Envy Model 13-aq0045cl (HP 85E3 Motherboard, ID3E34 Chipset, and Insyde F.04 BIOS) support Intel's Turbo Boost Technology (single core clock boost up to 4.6GHz)?

DCart6
Beginner

HP's glossy for the Envy Model 13-aq0045cl states "with Intel Turbo Boost Technology for up to 4.6GHz", but all diagnostic utility programs and benching I've done suggest this machine doesn't support ITBT. The Insyde F.04 BIOS has no option to turn ITBT on or off.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Contact HP, as it is THEIR BIOS.

Doc

0 Kudos
DCart6
Beginner
I did contact HP and I couldn’t get a straight answer. I had the definite feeling the helpdesk agent was dancing around the issue. Let me rephrase the question in Intel terms: Is there an Intel utility program that runs on Win10-64 that will tell me if ITBT is engaged on my i7-8565U? Thanks so much! -Dale
0 Kudos
DCart6
Beginner
Yup; already tried this days ago. The tool doesn’t specifically test for anything called “ITBT” and the clock speed shown never goes above the non-boosted 1.8GHz. I explained this to the HP guy and he told me that this doesn’t mean ITBT isn’t active. He told me that, even if a core gets boosted to 4.6GHz, the diagnostic tool will still show 1.8GHz. Does that sound reasonable or a bit suspicious?
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am not going to get in a discussion between you and HP. If the processor passed the test, it is not an Intel problem. If you never experience turbo boost, then either it is off or not supported in the HP bios, or your workload does not call for boost performance.

Doc

0 Kudos
DCart6
Beginner
That’s okay; perhaps there’s someone else on this forum that can actually provide useful information beyond what anyone can easily find on the web. It’s clear that HP support is dodgy about this because of the possibility of a class-action lawsuit if HP marketing has inadvertently misadvertised the capabilities of this particular product. I’d like to keep this topic open.
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello DCart6,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I would like to confirm that in fact, the processor specified supports Intel ® Turbo Boost 2.0 and yes, the max frequency it reaches is 4.60 GHz; nevertheless, in order to activate or deactivate the technology you need to have the option in the BIOS. 

Keep in mind that Intel ® Turbo Boost technology increases the frequency depending on the need of the application or process being run at the time so it will not be running at 4.60GHz all the time. 

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos