Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14921 Discussions

Downfall and CPU id 506E3 (Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v5 @ 3.40GHz)

BigLebowski
Beginner

Hi,

We have a large number of Dell R330s. Some have the 906E9 cpu.

Others have cpu id 506E3. This is EOL and appears in the 2018-2021 column of your table here 

My question is, are all servers in the 2018-2021 table unaffected by Downfall ? Or are some affected with an Intel patch unavailable as servers within the 2018-2021 table are EOL?

I'm thinking they must all be unaffected as Dell is releasing BIOS v 2.18.0 for these servers, which presumably includes the Intel patch. It's unlikely Dell would release this if it couldn't mitigate Downfall on all of it's R330 cpu models.

Thanks

Nick

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Allan_A_Intel

Hello Nick,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Downfall vulnerability and the CPUID 506E3, specifically the Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1230 v5. Your concern about the impact on your Dell* R330 servers is understandable, and I'm here to provide you with the information you need.

It's important to clarify that the CPUID 506E3 falls within the 2018-2021 column of the vulnerability chart. Your question about the servers in this column is valid, and you're wondering if they are unaffected by Downfall or if some could be affected due to their End of Life (EOL) status.

While the majority of servers in the 2018-2021 column might not be affected, it's crucial to note that some servers within this range could indeed be susceptible to the Downfall vulnerability. EOL status doesn't inherently guarantee immunity from vulnerabilities.

Your observation about Dell's proactive approach in releasing BIOS version 2.18.0 for the Dell PowerEdge R330 4x LFF 1U Servers is commendable. It's reasonable to assume that Dell is taking measures to address the Downfall vulnerability, which could include incorporating relevant Intel patches. However, it's important to remember that the release of a BIOS update doesn't automatically ensure complete mitigation.

For a comprehensive understanding and tailored guidance, I recommend directly reaching out to Dell's support. They can provide you with detailed insights into the BIOS update, its compatibility with the CPUs in question, and the extent to which it addresses vulnerabilities like Downfall.

Your diligence in seeking clarity on this matter is truly appreciated. If you have any further questions or require additional assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. Your commitment to ensuring the security of your systems is commendable, and we're here to support you every step of the way.

Best regards,

Allan A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos