Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

Drivers not downloading (Windows* DCH Drivers)

Pompido
Beginner

Hi,

So I've been trying to download new drivers for a few hours, I've done everything I could think of (which isn't that much) but I keep getting the same message that my system has a driver locked to the norm of the manufacturer (bad translation from french) and that I should download the newest drivers from the manufacturer's website, so I tried downloading MSI's newest drivers and nothing changed (my motherboard is from MSI). 

I added the bug report from the driver downloader and the ssu scan info if it helps.

Thank you so much for the help in advance, I'm at a loss.

have a great day/evening.

Noé.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If your PC is a laptop, then yes, you really should use only the driver packages that the vendor has validated to work with your laptop. The reason for this is that vendors often modify the graphics driver packages to support special features (hotkeys, etc.) of their laptop  product and you will lose these special features (and perhaps create instability) if you overinstall with one of the generic packages from Intel.

If this is a desktop PC, on the other hand, the packages are typically not modified and you can use the generic packages from Intel.

If, within IDSA, you get warnings about possible issues with overinstalling the graphics driver (or the installation fails), you will need to manually replace the driver using the clean installation method:

1. Download the latest driver from Intel (here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html) and have then on your PC.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug your Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Note that, if disabling wireless, this needs to be done in a way that prevents it from being reenabled after a reboot.
  3. Using Device Manager, click on the Display Adapters section, right click on the Intel HD Graphics entry and then select Uninstall Device. In the Uninstall Device dialog, select (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device and then select Uninstall.
  4. Reboot, keeping Internet access disabled.
  5. Install the new package that you downloaded earlier.
  6. Reboot.
  7. Reenable Internet access. Reconnect your Ethernet cable and/or reenable wireless.
  8. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If your PC is a laptop, then yes, you really should use only the driver packages that the vendor has validated to work with your laptop. The reason for this is that vendors often modify the graphics driver packages to support special features (hotkeys, etc.) of their laptop  product and you will lose these special features (and perhaps create instability) if you overinstall with one of the generic packages from Intel.

If this is a desktop PC, on the other hand, the packages are typically not modified and you can use the generic packages from Intel.

If, within IDSA, you get warnings about possible issues with overinstalling the graphics driver (or the installation fails), you will need to manually replace the driver using the clean installation method:

1. Download the latest driver from Intel (here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html) and have then on your PC.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug your Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Note that, if disabling wireless, this needs to be done in a way that prevents it from being reenabled after a reboot.
  3. Using Device Manager, click on the Display Adapters section, right click on the Intel HD Graphics entry and then select Uninstall Device. In the Uninstall Device dialog, select (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device and then select Uninstall.
  4. Reboot, keeping Internet access disabled.
  5. Install the new package that you downloaded earlier.
  6. Reboot.
  7. Reenable Internet access. Reconnect your Ethernet cable and/or reenable wireless.
  8. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

Pompido
Beginner

That did the trick, once again thank you so much for taking the time to answer, and giving such a detailed step by step solution. You made my evening quite a bit better !

Hope you have a great day !

0 Kudos