Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

Dual Channel issue I7 10700KF

jonvox
Novice

The mentioned cpu was used on a asus Z490-A motherboard and does not boot with any memory in the A1-A2 slots. It does boot with memory in the other two slots. When it boots it does not show any information of the A1-A2 slots. With cpu-z the memory tab only shows the size in Gb but not any other information of the inserted memory. Intel diagnostic tool passes.

I checked the memory slots and cpu socket contacts and I manged to change the motherboard, but the problem of not being able to use dual channel, remained.

Now I have purchased another processor, to fix the problem. Is there something I overlooked?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jonvox
Novice

The issue has been resolved. I found a half a volt on the cpu's cooler , over the power supply's zero.  This was less when faulty memory slots were not used. Grounding the foot of the cpu cooler to the powersupply's zero resolved the issue and the pc now boots using the faulty memory slots.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello jonvox,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you please provide the following reports and information to continue with your support request.

1-Please run the following tools and attach the reports generated.  

-Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

•          Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information

•          By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  

•          Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

•          To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

- Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

·        Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

·        Please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool one more time and send the results in a .txt file. 

·        To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply. 

2-Please answer the following questions so we can have a better understanding of your issue. 

-Was the processor purchased less than 30 days ago?

-Brand and model of the second motherboard used with the processor.

-Brand and model of all the RAM sticks tested.

-Did you overclock the processor?

-Did you enable Intel XMP and if yes, what was the memory speed configured?

-Exact model of the second processor you tested?

-Were you able to test the motherboards A1 and A2 slots separately, by doing a minimal configuration (motherboard, processor, Power Supply Unit, one RAM module, mouse, and keyboard) setup with one stick of RAM at a time?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
jonvox
Novice
Hi Victor,

As I have sent the processor back so I cannot do anymore tests.
As the pc did not boot with any memory in the a1,a2 slots I was not able to do any testing on those slots.
I tried all different combinations, even filling all 4 memory slots.
I tried to boot without SSd's but it didn't make a difference.
With memory 2x16 Gb in slots b1,b2 I ran the intel diagnostic tool and all the test passed.
The second motherboard was also an Asus Prime Z490-A, but a slightly newer version.
Memory:2 of Hyperx HX432C 16FB3/16. XMP 3200 worked when inserted into slots B1-B2.
Apart from the xmp test no other overclocking was done.
I am still waiting for the processor to arrive, but it will also be a I7 10700 KF.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello jonvox,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

When it comes to a swapping test such as the one you are going to complete with the processor, it will be fair to say that if the new processor works without any problem with the RAM sticks you currently have the previous one might have been defective; however, if you take a look at the motherboard’s manual which you can find in the link down below, on chapter 1 page 5 you will see that the combinations recommended by the manufacturer are the following:

One stick configuration:

A2

Two sticks configuration:

A1 + B2

Four sticks

A1+ A2 +B1+ B2

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1200/PRIME_Z490-A/E17233_PRIME_Z490-A_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

If you tested them all and the processor didn’t work, it will be fair to assume a defective state on the processor’s memory hub; however, any other combination although possible will be uncertain since is not included in the manual, with the new processor our strongest recommendation will be to get in touch with ASUS and check with them what kind of other supported configurations are available with two RAM sticks.

We will proceed to close this thread, and in case you find yourself with another issue with the new processor don’t hesitate to post a new question and we will be more than glad to assist you.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
jonvox
Novice

Hi Victor,

The new cpu did not solve the problem. I have tried any combination of memory, but with any memory in A1 or A2, the pc doesn't boot. The RAM led on the motherboard stays on.

At first I tried with the original bios version 0707 and updated the bios to the latest version 2004.

The attached files are with the memory in slot B1 and B2., the only way the pc boots.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Looks like the problem is in your motherboard..

...S

0 Kudos
jonvox
Novice

Hi scot,

Looks like the problem must be in both motherboards.

.When I replaced my old motherboard and cpu  I had the problem with the first  Asus Prime Z490-A and the Intel I 7 10700KF I installed. I swapped the first motherboard for a new one , tried it and failed. Then I swapped the first CPU for a new one. I still have the same problem

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I have to agree. You should be able to use any combination of slots. Only working in B1+B2 tells me that the Channel A support is broken. You've replaced the processor, so you know that isn't the cause. Only the motherboard (and its BIOS' Memory Initialization (MRC) support) are left.

...S

0 Kudos
jonvox
Novice

The issue has been resolved. I found a half a volt on the cpu's cooler , over the power supply's zero.  This was less when faulty memory slots were not used. Grounding the foot of the cpu cooler to the powersupply's zero resolved the issue and the pc now boots using the faulty memory slots.

0 Kudos
Rf1972
Beginner

I build for the first time a PC and I have the same problem.

can you please explaine me what I must do.

Are it some changes in the bios are is it some change in the hardware?

THX

0 Kudos
NautiqueLA
Beginner

I have the same exact issue and components. If you have a moment would you please tell me how to fix it?  I'd greatly appreciate it!

0 Kudos
Rf1972
Beginner
I really tried everything and assumed it wasn't the hardware because it was all new.
But in the end it turned out to be the motherboard. Replaced the motherboard and problem solved.
0 Kudos