Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

Duo 2 Quad 4 Processors AT80569PJ080N vs BX80569Q9650

idata
Employee

I am at the point of choosing a processor for my box package and ran across this hiccup when reviewing the specs for the BX80569Q9650,

There was an indication that it was available Halogen Free.

It turns out that the Halogen Free version is processor AT80569PJ080N.

Having never ran into the phrase Halogen Free with regard to a processor I am totally lost as to what it means as well as the significance of the property.

In layman's terms what is the difference between the processors and does Halogen Free make one better than the other. I am not a gamer but want to get all the processing speed I can out of this build.

Should I disregard this feature and go plain vanilla or is there some attribute of the board with that is marked as HF that would be beneficial long term?

I just don't have a clue about the value of HF.

Help would be appreciated

6 Replies
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Halogen free refers the non-use of Halogen's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen in the manafacture or packaging of the processor.

If you are eating the packaging, I would recommend getting a Halogen free product.

Otherwise the number that identifes the contents of the is the processor S-spec. SLB8W in the care of both packaging options listed here.

The BX is a retail box packaged processor

The AT is a OEM tray packaged processor

Both contain a the specific SLB8W stepping \ revision of the Q9650 processor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Yeh what Doc said! also just to add that usually with the OEM you will only get 1 year warrantyand no fan, whereas with teh boxed one you will get three years warranty and the stock fan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OEM/Tray is not necessarly a 1 year warranty, it is whatever it is... with whoever you purchased it from.

Don't assume it is one year... you need to go back to your place of purchase.

Box is three year with Intel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So, Capt and Doc,

If I read you both correctly, this is a lot to do about nothing as far as I intended use is concerned!

Since I don't have an exotic use planned for this build the BX80569Q9650 is fine and I am not leaving anything on the table with this choice. Would you all agree with that accessment?

Like a kid in a candy store, "too many choices".

I have never found a need for a processor that was more pure than what came out of a typical retail Intel BOXxxxxxxxxx branded packaged processor.

Lastly what would you guys do or choose?

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

If the AT is cheaper,.... In 10 years of playing working with servers and hundreds of processors, I have seen exacly 2 "bad" processors (not counting processors with the pins smashed). I would have no issues saving the money and giving up the extended warranty.

If warranty matters, the BX usually is the better choice. (3 year warranty)

Another POSTing /message/107678# 107678 http://communities.intel.com/message/107678# 107678 ingvarius was asking a simular question and the site he was on was charging more for the AT's which still seems very strange to me since you get the 3 year warranty and pay less. (Guess that is why I am not in marketing)

idata
Employee

Doc,

Thanks for the benefit of your experience and the advice.

I was not aware that there was a difference in warranty.

Docster

0 Kudos