Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

E5-2690v2 cpu or motherboard faulty

MHand2
Beginner

I have a pair of e5-2690v2's (SR1A5) and an Asus x9pe-d8 motherboard that appears to have a fault and wont post.

Unfortunately I've verified that the RAM/PSU and graphics card are fine and the RAM is listed as qualified for the motherboard.

I suspect this is a motherboard issue but I don't want to have to buy another one if the cpu's are also faulty.

Can anyone recommend a way of getting these processors verified as working?

Unfortunately the components are secondhand so aren't covered under warranty.

The motherboard q-code error often shows b2 - "Legacy Option ROM initialization" and refuses to enter the bios unless I clear the cmos just beforehand and wait for 3 failed posts at which point I can press F1 to enter.

I've tried every revision of bios available from ASUS, along with several different graphics cards and pcie combinations.

Even without a graphics card plugged in b2 error is still shown.

Thanks for any help.

Mike.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi MyKeys,

The only option is testing the processors in a working unit. I suggest you to try to get into the BIOS using only 1 processor at a time.

The memory controller is inside the processor, not any more in the board. The compatible memory with the Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2690 v2 is:

DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600/1866 at 1.5V.

Regards,

Mike C

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi MyKeys,

The only option is testing the processors in a working unit. I suggest you to try to get into the BIOS using only 1 processor at a time.

The memory controller is inside the processor, not any more in the board. The compatible memory with the Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2690 v2 is:

DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600/1866 at 1.5V.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
MHand2
Beginner

Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying. I have since resolved the issue but here are more details for those that are interested.

The first issue was that the board failed to complete post, b2 (ASUS q-code) was always shown and this was even in a single CPU configuration with qualified DDR3 1600mhz non-ECC Corsair Vengeance RAM and no external GPU.

To resolve this first problem I bought a new motherboard (I had exhausted all possible options with the board and felt a new one had the most chance of resolving the issue).

With the new board dual CPU configuration still failed to post with q-code bc.

I had read some reports of people running in to this issue and that using ECC registered RAM resolved the problem. I can confirm that this also resolved the problem for me too.

It's a pity that even when you buy all the components as outlined on a qualified vendor list there is still no guarantee of everything working.

As the memory controller is on the CPU die I can only assume this is a processor oddity. I wonder if trying the old motherboard with the new RAM might now work correctly.

I've stress tested the system and everything seems stable.

Hope this helps others.

Regards,

Mike2.

idata
Employee

Hi MyKeys,

I appreciated your feedback. Server processors require ECC memories.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos