Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Expansion option, express lane configuration

ericorn123
Beginner

I am looking at the express lane configuration option.

Up to 1x16, 2x8, 1x8+2x4

What does it mean?

whats the difference between 1x16, the 2 x8 and 1x8 + 2x8?

and how would you configure the cpu to choose between the three?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello ericorn123,

I hope you are doing fine.

These refer to the PCIe expansion slots, which are used to add different components to the motherboard and are connected to communicate directly with the CPU. Their difference is that they provide more or less bandwidth, the x16 being the one that offers the most bandwidth. Motherboard manufacturers choose to configure their products to have one expansion slot to the other. If you want more information about it, you should contact your Motherboard manufacturer for an installation manual or information about the PCI slots of your system.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
ericorn123
Beginner

the 2 pcie x8 will not be able to handle a pcie x16 slot?

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello ericorn123,

Thanks for reaching out to me.

Regarding your question, the if you connect a PCIe x16 device into a PCIe x8 slot, the bandwidth will be cut in half. There is no possible way to connect a PCIe x16 device into a 2x8 slots. However, you can confirm with the motherboard manufacturer to check if they have a special tool or feature that is capable of doing it.

Best regards.

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
ericorn123
Beginner

ok I understand the concept better. Thank you for the answer. I willl look more into the motherboard side of the pcie slots. The explanation for the cpu pcie lanes helped. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello ericorn123,

I'm glad to know the information helped. Hopefully, it will help other community members. Since the thread is now solved, I will close it. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best Regards, 

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos