Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Extreme Tuning Utility

andyctaylor
Beginner

Hi,

Newb here so please excuse if I'm posting this in the wrong place! 

I've just upgraded to 11 and since then my XTU won't run, telling me I have another performance tuning application running. I'm not aware that I do! I've reinstalled, deleted the files suggested by Intel and turned off "game mode" incase that was the problem. All to no avail. CAn anyone help me solve this problem?

My CPU is i9 - 10940X.

Many Thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
28 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello andyctaylor,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Did it work on Windows* 10?
  2. Did you perform a clean installation when updating to Windows* 11?
  3. Intel® XTU version you are using. 

Also, please download and install the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

It is important for you to know that we have moved your question to the correct subforum in order to better assist you and in case fellow members want to also participate in the thread 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
andyctaylor
Beginner

.                 Hi Josue,

Thanks so much for helping me with this. In response to your questions;

1. Yes it did work well on W10

2. No I didn't do a clean install, just an upgrade.

3. My XTU version is 7.5.3.3

I've attached the system scan you asked for.

Many Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello andyctaylor,

In this case please try performing a clean installation of Intel® XTU, in order to do this please follow the steps in the article "How to Uninstall the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)".

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032459.html

In case the issue persists after performing the clean install, please get the Intel® XTU logs and share them with us. Log files can be found in the following folder:

• C:\ProgramData\Intel

• Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
andyctaylor
Beginner

Hi Josue,

Thanks for your response. 

I'd already tried the uninstall process and reinstalled so I've attahced the logs for you. 

I wasn't sure about the command prompt but had a go, my locations were the same as the example given so I copied that.

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello andyctaylor,

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello andyctaylor,

In this case please try performing a clean installation of Windows*, this is because some files could have been corrupted when upgrading from Windows* 10 to Windows* 11 which may be preventing the tool to run as intended. 

If you need assistance performing the clean installation of the OS, please contact Microsoft for specialized support on Windows* installation. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello andyctaylor,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
andyctaylor
Beginner

Hi Josue,

Thanks for looking at the logs for me.

I hear what you're saying, trouble is I don't really want to do a clean install as I have a lot of Aps for my work that I wouldn't want to have to reinstall again. Unless I misunderstand the clean install process? I am a composer and have loads of VST plug ins and aps for my music software which are laborious to download and install again!

For now I'm just running at the stock speeds. Windows 11 is very solid for me, it was only the tuning that was an issue. 

So let me know if I'm wrong about a clean install, if not then I guess I'm just going to have to live with it for now?

Cheers,

Andy

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello andyctaylor,

In this case, our recommendation will be to check with Microsoft and see if there is a way to perform the clean installation without losing the files and apps in the system. 

Let me know if you were able to contact them and perform the clean installation. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello andyctaylor,

Were you able to contact Microsoft and check if there is a way to perform the clean install without losing the files?

Let me know if you still need our assistance.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
andyctaylor
Beginner

Hi Josue,

It seems you can only transfer regular docs etc, not applications and preferences etc. So I guess I'll have to leave it for now.

Let me know if you hear of any way or if anyone else solves a similar problem.

Cheers,

Andrew

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello andyctaylor,

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello andyctaylor,

Please try performing the following steps to try to solve the issue with your Intel® XTU:

1. Go to "services.msc".

2. Locate the XTU service and stop it.

3. Run the Intel® XTU tool as an administrator 

Please let me know the results. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
andyctaylor
Beginner

Hi Josue,

Thanks for getting back to me. 

Tried that, XTU wasn't running so I couldn't stop it. Tried running as Admin but still displays this message,

andyctaylor_2-1637691427844.png

Let me knwo if there is anything else I can try,

Cheers,

Andy

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello andyctaylor,

In this case, our option is to perform a clean installation of the OS, the reason for this is because since the tool was working fine on Windows* 10, we are not sure what could have gone wrong during the Windows* 10 to Windows* 11 upgrade process that is now affecting the functioning of the Intel® XTU tool. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
andyctaylor
Beginner

Thanks Josue,

I'll give that a go  when I have some downtime, I'll let you know if it works.

Cheers,

Andy

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello andyctaylor,

Sure, we will wait for you to try performing the clean install. Please let us know the results as soon as you get them. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
GregP89
Beginner

Try disabling the virtual machine, as well as kernel isolation and memory integrity in Windows Defender.

0 Kudos
andyctaylor
Beginner

Hi Greg,

Thanks so much for your advise. Memory Integrity isn't on, Acronis drivers prevent it! 

But I turned off Sandbox and hey presto XTU works! 

So can you look into why that's blocking XTU in W11 Josue? It worked fine with sandbox in W10.

Many thanks again Greg,

Andy

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello andyctaylor,

I will further investigate your inquiry and post back soon with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos