Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

FPS drop every 1 minute, not only in games.

MSilv87
Beginner

Hi, i have an i5-8600k with 16Gb RAM, recently my computer starts to have fps drops, and not only in games, everything that uses graphics processing present a "lag" in image, it freezes for 1 or 2 seconds and then back to normal. The curious thing is that what doesnt use graphic processing does not seems to be affected. For example if im playing a game and listening music in Spotify, the game is affected by the lag, the sound of the game is affected but the music from spotify doesnt.

I have tried some aproaches to figure the problem out, but with no success. I disabled the offboard graphics card and run the pc only into intel graphics to see if is a hardware problem and nothing have changed, i updated the divers from processor, graphic card (onboard and off), BIOS... and the problem persisted.

Running the intel processor Diagnostic tool no problem seems to appear, i run to the microsoft memory diagnostic and no problem has been detected, then i tried to record the performance with Windows Perfomance Recorder, and i notice that the "lag" occurs exactly every 1 minute, and the GPU use drop to almost 0% in this point.

Ive checked the temperatures and it seems fine, even when all the temperatures are under 50C the problem is there.

It seems like an processor problem or a Windows problem but i cant figure it out, hope someone can help me.

Thanks.

I uploaded some files to help:

cpu_teste_intel.PNG - The screenshot from Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool

hd_health.PNG - The health teste for the Hard Disc

ssd_health.PNG - The health test for the SSD

20200310_DESKTOP-OTKON0E.10-03-2020.01-27-20.etl.NGENPDB.zip - Is the log from Windows Performance Recorder, the problem occurs in minutes 1:36, 2:36, 3:36...

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

MSilv87, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Did you build the computer?

What is the model of the motherboard?

What is the model of the external graphics card?

What is the model of the monitor/TV?

How many memory RAM sticks are you using?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Which video port are you using to connect the computer to the monitor?

Are you using adapters or converters?

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MSilv87
Beginner

Hi Alberto, thanks for the help.

Did you build the computer?

Yes.

What is the model of the motherboard?

MSI z370 SLI PLUS

What is the model of the external graphics card?

AMD GIGABYTE RADEON RX590

What is the model of the monitor/TV?

I have two monitors, one ACER KG271 75Hz connected by a HDMI cable, the other is a AOC 24 144Hz connected by a Display port Cable. Both monitors present the problem.

How many memory RAM sticks are you using?

2 sticks, 8Gb each one. Corsair 2666MHz.

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

No.

Which video port are you using to connect the computer to the monitor?

Both Connected into Graphics Card, but when i disabled the offboard GPU to test, i connected the monitor into the motherboard. Same problem.

Are you using adapters or converters?

No.

Is this a new computer?

almost 2 years.

Was it working fine before?

It have present this problem before, like six months ago, but it stopped without explanation. And now its back and its persisting.

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

No, juts a windows update. but since it started i have restored windows and the problem still here.

Which Windows* version are you using?

Windows 10 Education.

Please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform:

Sure, its attached.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi MSilv87, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information.

Just to let you know, at this point, pretty much you tried all the troubleshooting steps that we recommend for this scenario.

One more thing we can try will be to test the PC with the minimal configuration. Please disconnect the external Graphics card from the board completely and test the computer using just one memory stick at a time with each stick.

Then install Intel® Generic Graphics driver version 27.20.100.8873 once you get the chance, please let us know the results:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29913/Intel-Graphics-BETA-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=126790

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello MSilv87, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello MSilv87, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Just in case, for this specific scenario, the problem could be related to a hardware problem with the motherboard itself in regards to the configuration/support it has for a Hybrid-Graphics configuration. So, as an option, you can always get in contact with MSI directly to confirm those details, to report this scenario, and to verify if they might have further suggestions to try to fix this issue:
https://us.msi.com/support

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
MSilv87
Beginner

Hi Alberto, sorry for the delay to answer.

In the past days i have changed the motherboard, CPU and graphics card.

Now its a i7 10700, ASUS TUF Gaming B460M PLUS, and RTX 5700 XT. And the problem its not solved.

There is just two options left, RAM kit or the power suplly.

But since the performance drop occurs every 1 minute i dont know how these components cant be related to the problem. Maybe something with the frequency?

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi MSilv87, No problem at all, thank you very much for sharing those details.

Based on the fact that you replace the motherboard, Intel® Processor and graphics card, for testing purposes, we can try once again to physically disconnect the external graphics card from the board and use the Onboard Graphics provided by the Intel® Processor. Make sure the latest BIOS version for the board is installed, which is version 0708:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-B460M-PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Also, you mentioned that "there is just two options left, RAM kit or the power suplly", so, if the problem persists after trying the step above, still with the external graphics card disconnected from the board, just monitor, board, processor, keyboard, mouse and power supply, please test the computer using just one memory stick at a time with each stick and verify if the problem remains.

Do you have the option to test the system with a different power supply? If you do, try that and once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello MSilv87, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello MSilv87, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Just to let you know, you can try to run the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool, it does an overall test on the unit, so if it passed the test it means it is working properly:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Keep in mind that the problem could be related to a hardware problem with the motherboard itself in regards to the configuration/support it has for a Hybrid-Graphics configuration. The next thing to do at this point will be to get in contact with MSI directly to report this scenario and to try to get a possible fix for this problem from them:

https://us.msi.com/support

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
MSilv87
Beginner

@Alberto_Sykes Sorry, the past weeks were quite busy.

I upgraded Windows freom Education to Home. And the problem disapear.

it seems like was a software problem after all.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi MSilv87, no problem at all thank you very much for letting us know those results.

Perfect excellent, it is great to hear the problem got fixed after upgraded Windows* from Education to Home, and yes, it seems it was related to a software problem, actually, that was going to be our next suggestion since Windows* Education is a version that is not fully compatible with the Wireless drivers tested.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos